Costa Rica Celleular Coverage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexRodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be traveling to Costa Rica this week for business and will be taking a small break next weekend for some diving. When I have previously visited Costa Rica I have been able to use my cellphone's international roaming via ICE (CR cellular provider) however I have only done this in San Jose and will be staying at Playa del Coco for some diving.

My question is, will ICE service be available at Playa del Coco?

I appreciate in advance any help I can get with this.

Alex

Hi Alex,

You shouldn't have any problem using your cell phone in Playas del Coco. ICE's coverage is nationwide. The reception is poor though when driving through the mountains on the way from San José to Guanacaste. There should be good reception prior and after covering the 30 mile or so mountainous tranche.

I'm heading myself to Playas del Coco this weekend. They tell me the weather has been improving. Calm warm waters, viz still so so; but plenty of stuff to see.

Good luck!

Fernando

puravida02:
I'm heading myself to Playas del Coco this weekend. They tell me the weather has been improving. Calm warm waters, viz still so so; but plenty of stuff to see.

Thanks Fernando,

Where will you be diving? I am scheduled with Rich Coast Diving for Saturday and Sunday November 12-13. I am currently in San Jose and heading out on Friday. Do you know how long the drive is from San Jose?

Alex

my cell phone coverage was perfect while at Playa de Coco last month.
Covered up really nicely in the bottom of my suitcase. :schijnend

Hi Alex. I'll be diving the same days as you but with Summer Salt. Small boat, will only do "local dives", meaning nearby sites such as Virador, Monkey Head, Argentina, Tortuga or Punta Gorda. I stay at the Flor de Itabo and for dinner I never miss the best seafood soup in Costa Rica at "Milanes". Try great fresh ceviche and delicious whole snapper at "La Guajira" right on the beach at Playas del Coco, my regular place after diving both Saturday and Sunday!

Oh, I forgot to mention, driving from San Jose to Guanacaste during non-rush hours (which can hold you like an hour leaving San Jose) and assuming you don't stop normally takes four and a half hours to Playas del Coco. I normally stop to eat so that adds an hour or so. It's been raining a lot so I recommend driving with calm. Also, you probably heard of Costa Rica's famous potholes, or craters may I say. It's true. The highway (the Inter-American!!!) after Canas is in really really bad shape. It's probaly only 60 kms to Liberia but it's a complete war zone. So, assuming you're driving a rental and you don't really care, take that route. Otherwise, do as I will, exit the Inter-American at the "La Amistad" Bridge (you make a left) and that gets you to Santa Cruz and from there to Playas del Coco. That route is longer but timewise I bet it's probably the same and the road is more decent.

When you drive through those craters (and you will) please thank our "amazing" Government and particularly our President, no wonder he's a shrink by profession!

Well I just got back from Playa del Coco and had a great time. I am at the San Jose airport, when I get back will will post details.

Appreciate everyone feedback.

Alex

Hi Alex:

I'm back from diving too. Drove back on Sunday afternoon and now in NJ...gotta make the $ to pay for diving!

I dove Punta Gorda twice on Saturday because it was so nice, but a bit cold!

On Sunday I first dove Tortuga (nice, saw sharks) and the second one, a shallow dive spot often disregarded by many operations, Play Pen, turned out to be extremely beautiful, great viz, plenty of fish, rays, octups, nudibrachs, etc, etc, etc. Water much warmer than the day before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom