Costa Rica advice for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi. My 12 year old son and I are planning. Trip to Costa Rice in April. I need advice on great family friendly places to stay that have diving lessons and trips that are easy for new divers. All inclusive would be great. Any favorite beaches, dive spots and must sees welcomed

I certified Open Water with Costa Rica Adventure Divers in Drake Bay on vacation. They are an excellent outfit and do their open water dives at Cano Island. I certified Nitrox and Advanced Open Water with Rocket Frog in Playa Del Coco. My Wife and Son also certified Open Water at Rocket Frog. Rocket Frog has a better pool for the confined stuff and very patient instructors. They dive locally in Papagayo bay with a large variety of local dives within 30 minutes of the beach. You can also arrange for a local hotel and coordinate everything through PADI for room and instruction/diving. I can completely recommend either school. Enjoy the time with your Son.

Look at Billbeards in Costa Rica. They have all-inclusive packages, with diving offered through Rocket Frog, plus they have top side adventures in their packages.

We visited and loved Drake Bay. Caño is great, and CRAD is a class operation. All dives are out at the island, as far as I know. The dives were easily within recreational limits. Visibility was sometimes 30-40’ or so; currents were easily manageable. We had good dives and saw more diversity than we expected. My understanding is the northern diving is not as good, but not from personal experience. But there are resorts in the north, and it’s easy to get to, compared with some significant logistical challenges going to Drake Bay—either fly smallish planes, or drive to Sierpe and take an open boat down a wide, gorgeous river to the ocean, then out and around to land in the surf or on the beach. Drake Bay’s funky and remote, and Guanacaste is a resort area. Lifestyle choice in large part, but I think it would be easier to do training in Guanacaste; you could probably get certified there and then go down to DB for a few days if you were so inclined—it’s just a few hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom