Costa Maya diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are looking for the Costa Maya - this describes the area south of Pta. Allen to the Belize border. It is a growing region for tourism which does include Mahahual and Xcalak. Mahahual is also the location of the cruise ship pier - Puerto Costa Maya.

While this is about a 4 hour drive from Cancun, the diving is great. With the Meso-American reef just yards off the beach to the Chinchorro Banks reef system about 20 miles off-shore.

Your best bets for diving and hotel are in Mahahual or Xcalak. You will find rooms at an average price of about $90 US per night ( 2 people). It is really quite a bargin for Oceanfront. And diving is about $75 US for 2 tank dive. So, figure on about $115 per person per day for diving and room.

Mahahual:
Some of the better small hotels
Margarita del Sol
Mayan Beach Gardens
Maya Luna
Balamku

Diving:
Dreamtime
Dive Zone - Zona de Bueco
Blue Ocean
Nomad

Xcalak:

Tierra Maya
Casa Caroline

Diving

XTC

Good Luck

Maya Palms Resort

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/337487-mahahual-costa-maya-options.html

Costa Maya Scuba Diving and Snorkel in Mahahual, Mexico: Maya Palms Resort

If you take the time to do a Google search - anyone will find a number of very fine places to stay and dive operations in the Costa Maya / mahahual area. It was my intention to list a diverse list of hotels and dive operations. It also list a group of businesses that help support the local economy and community at large.

Sorry that you felt offended that your business was not personally mentioned and associated links was not mentioned. :depressed:

Nothing like digging up an old thread :idk:

I did not realize you were posting messages for a group of business people. Now I understand why so many of Mahahual’s business that does support the local economy did not make your list. I thought you were providing information for the dive community at large. Sorry if I misunderstood, your intentions were unclear. I only seek to provide correct information. Maya Palms the only PADI Resort in Mahahual, just landed eight page article titled “Mahahual Maverick” in Sport Diver Magazine and it is supporting the local economy by promoting diving and tourism in Mahahual and the surrounding area. For someone who is willing to use Scuba Board to solicit customers or employees to run their operation should be willing to support the community that gives them this opportunity so, I challenge you to turn your name red and show your community support for Scuba Board, the ultimate online diver’s information database.
If you have, something to offer divers in Costa Maya the http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/337487-mahahual-costa-maya-options.html
thread would be a great place to showcase your amenities and attributes to less informed divers willing to try Mahahual as their dive destination.

Thanks,
Mahahual Mavericks

Last edited:
we can take you to chinchorro banks.. it is true that weather plays a huge factor on the trip, from Mahahual we are located 26 miles east right smack in the middle of the Caribbean ocean but it is worth the 1.5 hours trip. At Blue Ocean Safari Dive Center we are now offering "LionFish Safaris" due to the huge problem we have with Lion Fish invasion we have teamed up with Tal Bixby "the lion fish hunter" and his ELF (Eliminate Lion Fish) tool to remove the fish out of this part of the reef... We normally do small trips, including just you and the DM always south of town, we do not dive the close to town.. Blue Ocean Safari/Maya Chan/Maya Palms/Violeta's Reef/ and if we go any further we would be in Belize... that's another story.... happy diving, and hopefully you will join us for a safari in Mahahual..

Protect our Right to Post: ScubaBoard Legal Defense fund
It has come to my attention that ScubaBoard is involved in a lawsuit regarding the postings of some of its users. In my opinion, from the little I have heard of this, it appears to be a first amendment issue. I, for one, do not want to have any of my listings on this board or any other forum censored because the owner of the forum will have to be concerned that what is written may offend someone and that they may be included in a lawsuit.
While I do not have anything more than a very general outline of the lawsuit against ScubaBoard, I do know that the forum we all use to our advantage is operated on a shoestring. I have reason to believe that the funds to defend this lawsuit will cause Net Doc and ScubaBoard great hardship and may inevitably create a situation where they have to shut down. That said, I have asked Pete (Net Doc) to set up a method of receiving contributions for defense of this lawsuit. Please help by sending what you can to a Paypal account at legaldefense@scubaboard.com . Rest assured that all of these funds will be used for legal fees and nothing else.
We all use this forum for free; the only income received by ScubaBoard is from the banner advertisements, which do little more than cover the expenses. Anything you can contribute will be greatly appreciated and will allow us to continue to use this valuable resource.

view here

Last edited:
Just finished 7 days of diving in Mahahual, and the diving was great. I and my daughter were diving with Dream Time Diving, very friendly and capable people. Most days it was 2 divers per DM so the dives are adjusted to your experience and ability level. We stayed at Posada de los 40 Canones. Also did the trip to Chinchorro Banks, dolphins, some nurse sharks, turtles and on the small caye we stopped at, crocodiles,a trip not to be missed. On the local reef, lots of fine coral and sealife. Very laid back, Dive Shop is very "full service", not much to do if you are not diving. You do need to rent a car to get there from Cancun, but you can drive to a number of Mayan Ruins that are worth seeing.

one of the most beautiful places is costa maya in the mexican caribbean, every body talks about cozumel of course is beautiful but rio huach in costa maya its great, the formations the place its just gorgeous!!!! you should join this place... let me know i can give you some choices!!!

BTW If you want to still see Costa Maya while it is still small -better hurry. They just opened a Hard Rock cafe in Mahahual. And there is a Starbucks to be open soon. Mind you - the town does not even have a bank and only one gas station. Rumor has it Senor Frog is planning to open as well. Just call it Cozumel - part 2.

Is the Hard Rock and Starbucks just at the port and only open when cruise ships are there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom