Costa Maya diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived a number of times with Dive Aventuras in Puerto Aventuras. If you are in one of the resorts in the area, they will provide transportation (the list of hotels is on the site). They have a small boat, the staff has always been friendly and the dives fun. They also will do Cenote dives.

Have fun!

Dive Aventuras Mexico scuba diving vacation packages Puerto Aventuras

It's a big area! What kind of diving do you want to do -- open water, cenotes, both? What kind of lodging do you want to have? All-inclusive? Condo? Hotel? Do you want to rent a car?

Diving the Riviera Maya can range from staying at an all-inclusive resort and diving with the house op, to independent cave diving up and down the coast. We need a little more information to advise you well.

My fiance and I just returned 2 weeks ago. We wanted to get away from all the tourist trappings and Maya Palms is the place to do just that. Four hours drive south of Cancun you find the little town of Mahahual and the Maya Palms resort just a short distance away. Secluded, the perfect get-away, a staff that caters to your every need, and the diving was incredible. Reefs are a short 10 minute boat ride with no other divers in the water except the two of us and our fun and accomodating divemaster for many of the dives. Cool. We were very and I mean very impressed with the whole operation from start to finish. Highly recommend Maya Palms as a dive destination. And check out the stars in the sky at night! WOW!

If you are looking for the Costa Maya - this describes the area south of Pta. Allen to the Belize border. It is a growing region for tourism which does include Mahahual and Xcalak. Mahahual is also the location of the cruise ship pier - Puerto Costa Maya.

While this is about a 4 hour drive from Cancun, the diving is great. With the Meso-American reef just yards off the beach to the Chinchorro Banks reef system about 20 miles off-shore.

Your best bets for diving and hotel are in Mahahual or Xcalak. You will find rooms at an average price of about $90 US per night ( 2 people). It is really quite a bargin for Oceanfront. And diving is about $75 US for 2 tank dive. So, figure on about $115 per person per day for diving and room.

Mahahual:
Some of the better small hotels
Margarita del Sol
Mayan Beach Gardens
Maya Luna
Balamku

Diving:
Dreamtime
Dive Zone - Zona de Bueco
Blue Ocean
Nomad

Xcalak:

Tierra Maya
Casa Caroline

Diving

XTC

Good Luck

Oops. Sorry - I read Costa Maya and thought Riviera Maya, my bad. My brain misfired.

I was in Costa Maya when the cruise port first opened, there wasn't much there at the time, but the area around it was gorgeous!

Good luck and good diving!

The diving is very good any place from Cancun south. The main choice is what type for your surface interval (hotel). My choice would be any place south of Playa del Carmen (nothing against Cancun). Akumal, Puerto Adventuras, Tulum and down thru Costa Maya. One advantage to the central area (Akumal) is the cenotes.

If your style is AI types, you will need to stay to the north. There are no AI or large hotel in the Costa Maya.

BTW If you want to still see Costa Maya while it is still small -better hurry. They just opened a Hard Rock cafe in Mahahual. And there is a Starbucks to be open soon. Mind you - the town does not even have a bank and only one gas station. Rumor has it Senor Frog is planning to open as well. Just call it Cozumel - part 2.

I would check out Nomad Divers in Mahahaual. We have been diving with them for the last 2 years, and are returning this summer.

Happy diving,
Steve

I just recently got back from another dive trip to Mahahual. I have been to Mahahual several times before as it is probably the best reef I have dove in my almost thirty years of diving. I too stayed at the Maya Palms Resort and wouldn't recommend diving with anyone else. Going to Maya Palms is like going to your own private oasis. This rather large property is very private and very secluded. They treat you like you own the place and cater to your every whim.

The diving is fantastic and reef system there is pristine and very organized. Our dive master was very knowledgeable of there area. The dive boat was very clean and just the right size. The group was always small and we were guaranteed to be the only dive boat on the dive site. This time we saw a school of dolphins, turtles, a huge spotted sea ray along with two many others to mention. If you want to know more check out the 10 page article in PADI’s Sport Diver Magazine that just came out titled “Mahahual Maverick”. They too chose Maya Palms.

One other point about Costa Maya is Chinchorro Banks located about 20 miles offshore. Great diving.

Generally the best times to go are during the summer months (less wind). As the trip is across some open water.

Only a few dive operations have the permits to go out to the banks. I do not think Maya Palms has the permit anymore. Maybe the sub-contractor they were using for boats recently may have the permits.

Worth the trip if you have the chance.

Back
Top Bottom