Costa Maya diving from shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_addict:
Majahual has awesome diving close to shore. I am in the process of opening a new store called Blue Ocean Safari in Majahual with two locals. The operation will be PADI facility. You can email me at phillip@blueoceansafari.com. The website will be up in a few days. Prices are much more reasonable and on a par with Mexico and Belize. The store is located in the Majahual next to the El Delfin restaurant.
Good luck with the venture! Sounds like the area could use some competition.

Lets us know when your site is up and running!

Hi
I took an OW course in Mahahual with Dreamtime a year ago and it was a fabulous experience. They’re operated by very nice, trustworthy and professionnal people. Their place seems to be growing fast, but Jono and Tanya are extremely safety and environment-oriented, so you’re sure to have a wonderful time diving with them.
Annlaur

is there an airport nearby?

Closest airport from Mahahual is Chetumal, right at the border with Belize but I don’t know how many flights actually get there.
Best and cheapest way to get to Mahahual is to land in Cancun, then bus your way down. Go to the terminal in Cancun, catch a bus going south to Chetumal and ask the driver to let you off at the crossing for Mahahual (if my memory’s good, it’s a 4-hour ride, a bit after a town called San Felipe Carrillo). Once at the crossroad, wait for a bus to take you into Mahahual or hitch-hike (rather easy, as there are only 3 buses a day and many nice locals and expats living in the area). It may seem quite tedious but it’s not that big of a deal. I’m a girl and I did this with no problem at all. Besides, you can make stopovers on your way down (or back up) in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel or Tulum (where you can dive in cenotes). You should check out the Yucatan edition of the Lonely Planet, it’s packed with very useful info such as places to stay and bus schedules. PM me if you have more questions about the area. I’ve had a wonderful time down there.
Have a great trip.
Annlaur

annlaur,
Enough is enough with plugging dreamtime get over it. You need to do more diving so you have more to talk about. Dreamtime has a reputation for plugging all the boards as different people so its hard to take your comments seriously when the only subject you talk about is dt.

btdiver:
annlaur,
Enough is enough with plugging dreamtime get over it. You need to do more diving so you have more to talk about. Dreamtime has a reputation for plugging all the boards as different people so its hard to take your comments seriously when the only subject you talk about is dt.

Annlaur has a least one defender on the board, as witnessed by when i asked if she was a shill:11doh:

Info on Dreamtime resort in Costa Maya
I just returned with a group of divers from a cruise that stopped in CostaMaya. We went diving through Dreamtime Divers and although the resort is very small. We had no complaints against staff or the operation. There is no hotel accomadations directly with them it is down the street. Absolutly no shore diving here. At least 300-400 yards to the reef. Small currents are evident. Boats are not Pro 48's at all for sure. Although roomy on the boats with 10 people, It was a little rough getting back into the boat in the high waves we had (5'). A couple of the divers were brand new and found it difficult getting back in the boat with the conditions. The reef was only 5 minute boat ride out and down to 95 feet. Marine life was much less than I expected and have heard from ads and such. We all agreed we would not go back. Roatan was the best dive site of the four stops we made on the cruise. Marine life was incredable. Large groupers and othe species abound all over on the two different dives we did there. Belize was ok but 45 minute ride out to the reef. Any one want to know any more, reply back.

James

Yes, this zealot, for some reason, can not stop spamming the boards.

Well...it's one of two things.
1. Inexperienced diver: Has limited diving & dive op experience, so can only keep harping on the only experience she does have. (Which she did admit)http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=128787
Annlaur:
Only other place I dove was Hurghada, Egypt
2. Shill for Dreamt*** (Which she did deny)
Annlaur:
I WISH I had something to do with Dreamtime

Either way, it is getting very tiresome. And is possibly having the opposite effect of what was intended.

I am planning on going to this location in August. Based on my own research, I will not be diving with Dreamt***.

mnjkahn:
When are you going on the Valor? My wife and I are cruising on the Valor on the 4th of Feb. We're diving each location, using Carnival's shore excursions, except for Costa Maya. We still need to hook up with a Dive Operator there. If you've already been, what was Dreamtime like?

Just wanted to follow up - We booked with Dreamtime. Docked in Costa Maya, trecked all our equipment down the pier and were about to hail a cab when we noticed a large group of divers getting on a bus. It turned out that because there were so many divers booked with them, Dreamtime had a bus waiting to take them directly to their operation. We were all ready to board the bus when my wife asked the rep from Dreamtime what kind of boats they were using. He indicated small boats, and that most people did a back roll to enter the water. My wife has always had a phobia about the back roll, so we opted not to go. Was I ever upset! However, as it turns out, the rough seas made several of the divers so seasick that they couldn't dive. I would have probably been one of those divers, had we chosen to go. Fortunately, Dreamtime was very understanding, and did not even ask us to forfeit the deposit. If I can ever get my wife over her back roll phobia, the next time we're in Costa Maya, I'll try Dreamtime.

Back
Top Bottom