Cost to start Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also check with your instructor. The paperwork said we were supposed to have our own mask, fins and snorkel for the class. Reality was that the shop actually had spares available for everyone to borrow. We ended up buying mask and snorkel for the class, but borrowed different fins for each session so we could figure out what we were happy with. I'm a strong advocate of renting the rest of the gear for a while (using your own mouthpiece if you want) to figure out what you are comfortable with, then purchasing as sales come along. Othewise you end up back on SB posting in the 'stuff I wish I'd never bought' forum :)

You guys are all getting way too detailed/complicated. He just wanted a bugetary number. So, I'll tell you...

All your money plus $1000. :D

To be real... a good budget number to plan on is $2000-$2500 for all initial equipment plus class, if you don't go crazy with all the most expensive stuff. This could go up or down based on all those things the other guys mentioned.

If you are going to use rental gear(B.C. Regs, wet suit, weights) you can get your personal gear(Mask, Fins, Boots and snorkel) for any were from $150 to $400. Like other people have said you can send as much as you wnat too.

I just received my certification this past weekend. I was lucky in that my boyfriend is a diver and led me in the right direction in what to buy for the snokel, fins, and mask. I spent around $200.00. You will notice that comfort is the key. I would suggest a split fin (scuba pro has a great pair). The split fin gives you a bit more control while you are swimming and you glide really nicely. As for the mask try them on, but buy a mask where you know you will be able to take it back. I bought my mask at the place where I got my certification and good thing because when I tried my mask in the water I wasn't comfortable and I was able to exchange it for another one. Also you may want to ask if you by the mask, snorkel, and fins if they have a packaged deal (that's what I got). Let me know how it oges for you guys. When you decide to go and get certified you will be nervous the challenge is to overcome that and I quarentee you will love it. Any other questions don't hesitate to ask. :D

If you spend $2000 on a 15 year investment it's about $135 per year to own and not rent.
Also, like ski equipment , you can get some good bargains end of season.
Not sure when is the end of season.

I realize this is an extremely general question, so I will be a bit more specific. How much does an average beginners setup cost? For example: fins, goggles, gloves and what have you. What should I go in to a store EXPECTING to pay? (I can usually find a way to justify a lot more so I want to get a number in my head as a budget so to speak)

Thanks!

Oh I almost forgot. I am pretty weird about sharing gear - is there a way to buy your own regulator (just the mouth piece actually) and not the entire octo?

Mask $20 - $80
Fins $35 - $85
Snorkel $15 - $28
Boots $28 - $75
Gloves $18 - $40

So basics total $116 and up...

BCD $225 - $500
Regulator $175 - $450
Alternate $75 - $158
Computer $280 - $475

Scuba stuff total from $755 - $1583

Wetsuits
3mm $100 - $120
7mm $199 - $300
Hood $28 - $48

Tanks
Steel $200 - $400
Aluminum $150 - $180

If you're being quoted prices higher than these ranges - regardless of brand - you're paying too much... Hope this helps... Happy Diving!

If you're being quoted prices higher than these ranges - regardless of brand - you're paying too much... Hope this helps... Happy Diving!

"Too much" is a relative term.

My sealed regs Atomic M1's were $600 or $700 each (don't remember which) and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Split fins run around $200 and regardless of public opinion of their effectiveness, or the superiority of Jets for doing back-kicks, my 52 year old joints are much happier with splits.

On the flip-side, if money is tight, "getting started" can cost pretty close to nothing. There are a huge number of people that bought a whole package, went diving once, put it away and never dived again. Many of them are probably friends or relatives, and would be happy to give their gear away to someone who would use it. In fact, that's how I got started.

Terry

The split fin gives you a bit more control while you are swimming and you glide really nicely.

I have to dispute this. Splits decrease kicking resistance, but they definitely do not improve your control in comparison with a stiff paddle fin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom