Cost to media blast and coat a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwilding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just got a quote of $80 per cylinder to have some tanks blasted and ZRC coated. Is this a fair price?

The shop is a large one and the gaffer claims this is fellow diver favor pricing.

Also, does blasting a tank null a current hydro?

Buying someone labor, expertise, and materials is what it is. You are dealing with a specialty service.
That said you could just get them to blast the tanks and paint them yourself. I have found ZRC Galvilite to be the best if three coats are rolled on with a foam roller.

Hard to say, since every dive shop makes up its own rules. Nothing in the DOT regs (49 CFR 180.205) say it should, though any procedure that could reduce the wall thickness is suspect.

It makes a huge difference what method of blasting is used. If it's sand, grit or aggressive shotblasting, then you can easily remove enough metal from the tank wall to not only null the hydro, but to condemn the tank. A milder form of blasting that does not remove any of the base metal should be acceptable, but some shops will reject the tank all the same, or interrogate you at length about just how it was done, before deciding whether to fill or sticker it.

One of the problems with taking it to a shop that does not specialize in dive tanks is that what they say they will do is not always what they do. There was a report a while back from someone who took an alu tank to be blasted, and when he picked it up, found that they had decided it would be easier to burn the paint off in an oven, which so badly overheated it that it had to be condemned.

Also, does blasting a tank null a current hydro?

It makes a huge difference what method of blasting is used. If it's sand, grit or aggressive shotblasting, then you can easily remove enough metal from the tank wall to not only null the hydro, but to condemn the tank.
I mentioned walnuts when we spoke and he didn't comment. I'd confirm that before pressing forward. I guess talking to my lds about their stance on the matter would be a good idea as well.

One of the problems with taking it to a shop that does not specialize in dive tanks is that what they say they will do is not always what they do. There was a report a while back from someone who took an alu tank to be blasted, and when he picked it up, found that they had decided it would be easier to burn the paint off in an oven, which so badly overheated it that it had to be condemned.
That's one of those funny because it did not happen to me stories - yikes!

what kind of shop would be doing that?

The same shop that does the hydro testing. The shop name is Hydrostat in Deerfield Beach, FL. Welcome to Hydrostat!

It appears they'll also do painting on the steel tanks but I've only had them do some of my ugly AL tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom