Cost to dive Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire is on my list for one day...Is anyone comfortable sharing what they spent per person as a couple or 2 friends traveling together while sharing a room without airfare and how many days was that for total and how many days diving? I'm interested in on-the-ground costs. I like fancy but in all honesty, I really just need wifi, AC, and private bathrooms and I'm happy so if that sounds like you, I want to hear from you!

I suspect that airfare is quite expensive from California and that along with the land/dive costs, it may still make it somewhat of a difficult decision to head out there as opposed to other options flying over the Pacific but I would love some data on this. Thank you!

I try not to calculate what I actually spent on any dive trip. Too depressing.

There's that old saw about planning for trips. Goes something like:

"Make a list of stuff to bring. Then omit half of it.
Make a daily budget and multiply by number of days to get a total.
Double the total and bring that much."

Minor; when I was there a few years back, when you pay the $25 marine park fee (in cash, by the way), keep your receipt so if you wish to drive through Washington-Slagbaii Park up north, you can show it to avoid the $10 entry fee. Not a bad way to spend one afternoon; some scenic landscape photos to be had.

Richard.

I try not to calculate what I actually spent on any dive trip. Too depressing.
Agree.
In 2016 my son and I were on an LOB (not Bonaire) two weeks in a row and on track to do every dive. He tired a little out and chose to take a break and watch a movie for one dive. No problem, watch the movie (I went for the dive of course). Then, afterwards I made a parenting mistake - meaning well, but... --- Well he was 15 and understanding a little more can't hurt I thought, so, I asked him to calculate the cost per dive if all dives are taken - airfare, tips and and all. Then, as a teaching moment ( I thought) I asked him what he would say it cost to watch that free movie. He was not too happy... Neither was I ' cause of course the actual cost per dive, despite great deal and all was still a bit depressing...

Minor; when I was there a few years back, when you pay the $25 marine park fee (in cash, by the way), keep your receipt so if you wish to drive through Washington-Slagbaii Park up north, you can show it to avoid the $10 entry fee. Not a bad way to spend one afternoon; some scenic landscape photos to be had.

Richard.

And some good dives too.

Bonaire is on my list for one day...Is anyone comfortable sharing what they spent per person as a couple or 2 friends traveling together while sharing a room without airfare and how many days was that for total and how many days diving? I'm interested in on-the-ground costs. I like fancy but in all honesty, I really just need wifi, AC, and private bathrooms and I'm happy so if that sounds like you, I want to hear from you!

I suspect that airfare is quite expensive from California and that along with the land/dive costs, it may still make it somewhat of a difficult decision to head out there as opposed to other options flying over the Pacific but I would love some data on this. Thank you!
Got you covered on all of this-- Here is the scoop from the left coast:

1. Flights: You will want to fly United out of SFO. You can get there same day on Saturday's flying via Houston. Saturday is the only option. Returns are only on Sunday (which is awesome!). So, return the following Sunday for a full 1 week stay.

2. Accommodations: Knowing you the bit that I do from your posts and our shared experience weekend with Truth Aquatics to Santa Cruz Island, I would highly recommend staying at Den Laman or Bamboo Bali. See my earlier post for the link to Bamboo Bali. Both places do a Stay, Drive and Dive package. So, 7 nights accommodation, Truck rental for the entire stay and unlimited tanks and free nitrox for the week. Bamboo Bali will cost you roughly $1,000 per person for a double occupancy and Den Laman will be between $1,000 and $1300 depending on the room type you select.
Here is the link to Den Laman: Rates & Packages - Den Laman
Here is the link to Bamboo Bali: Rates & Packages

Bonaire is the best value for quality and quantity of diving and total enjoyment that I have found anywhere. If you will be going with Mr. OOO - then I'd definitely recommend Bamboo Bali. PM me if you want any additional details. I have other recommendations if you want to put together a larger group of people.

Arriving Saturday and departing Sunday results in 8 nights stay- so, there is a little bit of an up-charge on the rates above with both locations.

Last edited:
Thought of another question. I understand that the currency is US dollars. Do you bring a wad of cash or do are the ATM fees reasonable?

I just use CCs (not American express) for most things. There are several ATMs on the island, including one very close to Den Laman, if you need more cash. Since they are now on USD, there is no exchange fees to deal with.

We were there in Jan/Feb, the Zung grocery has gone down some, mostly now household goods and alcohol now.

Shhhh! on the BBB! :) The little lady and I are planning our next trip and we don't need any competition. Candidly, after staying at Divi last month and BBB we are really sold on Bamboo Bali. Sure they have a wonderful shore dive at Divi but it is off limits most of the time if a ship is in coming, leaving or in port. The damage the ships do to their reef is evident. We were underwater when a ship left from the North port which did not affect their reef while departing though the sound was like that of a locomotive and did nothing for the local sea life. BBB had no house reef so you will have to drive to dive. Cliff is the closest and one we love.

We liked Belmar Condos in Belnem - probably as nice as Den Laman but a little older but it seems comparable. South of the airport and the other Buddy Dive shop is there. That allows you to use the Buddy tank pickup also. Getting tanks there is easy - the shop is on the south end uf the small parking area and the gate is right there. Buddy's either keeps a boat there or send one down as needed.

Your room key gives you 24.7 access to the public parts of the shop for tanks/gear storage etc. Ground floor units (all 2br) also have a locked closet outside the back door.

If there's a downside it's that there's no food onsite or nearby. Also their house reef is just average. However all the good southern sites start 5mins away. It's also on the main road so you'll go by often - towards the end of the week we left just about everything in our condo and picked up what we needed.

Belnem is really quiet at night also - not that anywhere on Bonaire is loud. I wonder if Coco Beach Club is heard at Den Laman? Nice thing is you can quickly walk there since I believe Den Laman only has a small restaurant - they used to promote Eddie's next door at Sand Dollar. Buddy's bar would also be a short walk north.

Easy access to Bari Reef is a plus for Den Laman also - when the other shop was there my buddy did a REEF fishcount with them - with the help of the guide he counted over 100 species in one hour long dive .Now Dive Friends has taken over the concession and I assume brings boats into the D.L. dock. Dive Friends has the most tank pickup locations of anyone - north of Den Laman at Hamlet, in town and in Belnem at Port Bonaire - one more also IIRC.

I guess I just sold Den Laman over Belmar...LOL

Last edited:
Shhhh! on the BBB! :) The little lady and I are planning our next trip and we don't need any competition. Candidly, after staying at Divi last month and BBB we are really sold on Bamboo Bali. Sure they have a wonderful shore dive at Divi but it is off limits most of the time if a ship is in coming, leaving or in port. The damage the ships do to their reef is evident. We were underwater when a ship left from the North port which did not affect their reef while departing though the sound was like that of a locomotive and did nothing for the local sea life. BBB had no house reef so you will have to drive to dive. Cliff is the closest and one we love.
I know-- I cringe every time I recommend Bamboo Bali. Kind of want to keep it a secret and certainly don't want them to start jacking their prices.

Back
Top Bottom