Cost to dive Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Badhuntr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have searched with no real success.
I'm trying to come up with an educated guess for a couple to spend a week there.

We have gear so don't need to rent that.

What I know: Airfare.
Dive and drive package. (Room, car, tanks and weights)
Car insurance $400?

What I don't know: Food. Probably eat out some and fix our own some.
Taxes and fees.
Gas.
Tips.
What else?
Any help will surely be appreciated!

You've got the biggies covered: airfare and a dive & drive package. Hopefully someone will be able to give you the current price of gas.

Food? Figure about the same as in the US. In other words, if you want to buy stuff for breakfast or to make sandwiches for lunch, there's a supermarket, and prices are very much in line with what you would pay in a US supermarket for bread, deli meats, etc. All food is imported, so you should expect to pay a bit more than in the US, but not like double or anything. If you are renting a condo and want to cook your dinners, you could save money. When we're there with a group, we often save money by cooking dinners, including a few thrifty nights like spaghetti. Dinner out? Restaurants range from pizza joints and Chinese to white-tablecloth seafood restaurants. So, like in the US, you could manage to spend $20 on dinner for two or $200 on dinner for two. There's a way to do Bonaire for every budget.

Tips? If you're talking about a restaurant, figure on what you would tip at home. You could tip less--the European visitors no doubt do. Unless you plan to do a boat dive, there is no one to tip as far as diving is concerned.

Bonaire is a great place for thrifty divers.

Eating out I figure $10 per plate for lunch and $15-30 per plate for dinner depending on the places you go. Per Person, Plus tips.

I usually spend $200 at the grocery store for breakfast, most lunches, water, wine and beer for the week. Well, my wine and beer budget may be more than that. :)

Gasoline/diesel figure $35-50 for the week unless you like driving the island end-to-end repeatedly.

Many of the better restaurants have menus with prices online - here's one.It Rains Fishes is a more upscale outdoor restaurant in town. Our Menu

Google some of the others:

httpshttp://www.tourismbonaire.com/dining://www.diningbonaire.fyi/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0amo553O2QIVhR9pCh1VlgJcEAAYASAAEgIuWfD_BwE
Bonaire Dining - Bonaire Official Tourism Site
Dining on Bonaire | Dining on the Caribbean Island of Bonaire Restaurants.

There's a Van Den Tweel supermarket - prices will be higher than the US but not excessive.
Van den Tweel Supermarket Bonaire - Van Den Tweel Groep
also Warehouse Foods across the street Bonaire Food Group

Last edited:
Thought of another question. I understand that the currency is US dollars. Do you bring a wad of cash or do are the ATM fees reasonable?

Thought of another question. I understand that the currency is US dollars. Do you bring a wad of cash or do are the ATM fees reasonable?
I bring enough cash and use cash for most things and occasionally my credit card that has no transaction fees at nicer restaurants.
There are 3 nice food trucks for lunches south of the airport on the beach. Cactus Blue, Kite City and King Kong Burger. Great places to eat between morning and afternoon dives. Another great spot for breakfast and lunch is called Between 2 Buns. Anyone on the island can tell you where it is or look it up on Google Map. I think the others have covered most of your questions. I drive all over the island all week diving on numerous trips and have never used a full tank of gas. Where are you staying? There are a number of car rental agencies. I have been happy with Avis and Budget and book them directly from their respective websites ahead of time. They are both located at the airport. Just walk out of the airport and walk diagonally to your left and you will see them.

We don't have any firm plans yet. So far I like the sound of Den Laman. Sounds easy and I understand that Bari Reef is really nice.
Yes and yes. Great place to stay. I have stayed there and highly recommend it. Between 2 Buns, which I mentioned earlier is right next door. There is also a a nice little grocery store not too far north from Den Laman. It is called Zung Khong. If you stay at Den Laman, then you can just get your rental truck as part of their package. They use Avis. Another accommodation that you might want to consider is just down the road from Den Laman. Their packages are similarly priced. The upside is that it is a much nicer and more romantic place to stay. The negative is that you are not directly right on the water. You are across the street. It is called Bamboo Bali. Here is a link: Bamboo Bali Bonaire
Actually, I think you will find bamboo Bali to be less expensive and their truck rental which is part of their package includes insurance. Gorgeous place!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom