Cost of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...also, I see you're from India......many counties have import taxes/tariffs and I have no idea how something like that would affect the answer to your question...that could by itself substantially impact any possible quoted prices.

So what you're saying is...

"a piece of string may be longer"

:eyebrow:

So what you're saying is...

"a piece of string may be longer"

:eyebrow:

...true, I kinda spelled it out for the OP, not knowing how much of our sense of humor might be lost in translation.......yeah, the question is even less 'answerable' than the OP might have imagined....which is why neither of us bothered to be drawn into any specifics about gear recommendations/prices....I hate to say this, and hopefully this doesn't come across as to harsh/strong, but I have little patience for a 'lazy' poster/question such as this, where absolutely no independent effort has even been attempted....something as simple as getting on the WWW and seeing what local prices for assorted common gear items are, it ain't rocket science.

Hello,

As it happens, this helped me out. I was looking for the ball park figure for a generic "piece of string" in a hurry. And sorry for seeming lazy on this. I actually did some www study, too. However, I wanted to hear from people who are not selling, but using the gear. I was looking to validate the info I have before using it anywhere.

So thanks for the info and the patience.

My first scuba "set" complete cost 197 dollars earned at odd jobs, allowance and yard mowing. It was everything I ever really needed. You guys are too fancy. N

Very expensive

This is probably one of the most common questions prospective divers have, but for some reason divers tend to be very unforthcoming with an answer. Granted, as others have stated, there are all sorts of factors that can come into play that will affect cost; but people who ask this question usually aren't looking for a precise dollar amount-just a ballpark figure.

Warm water: around $2000
Cold water: around $2500
Really cold water: around $4000

Can you spend less than this? Of course. If you get entry-level gear, grey market equipment, find tremendous sales, buy used gear, don't purchase a tank etc., you can certainly spend less. Can you spend more? Absolutely. Putting rebreathers aside, even with standard scuba gear you could certainly spend more if you purchased a henderson wetsuit, high-end atomic regulator, wrist-mounted computer with wireless air, dual steel tanks, spare air/pony set-up, etc. While the ranges provided above aren't going to apply to everyone, this is basically how much a person can expect to spend if they don't want to have to rent anything, and want good-quality (not entry level, not top-of-the-line), brand-new gear.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom