Cost of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bacalhau

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I'd need some quick info and would appreciate the help. Need to know the average cost for dive gear, and I mean everything needed to start diving in warm waters, when you have nothing but swimwear in your closet. I've bought my own gear over long period, piece by piece, and embarrassingly found myself in a situation where I do not know the going price if someone asks for the price of the whole kit. New or used.

I naturally understand that there is variation, but ball park figures are what I'm looking for. The reason I'm asking, is that I'm scheduled for a discussion, where this will inevitable come up and would love to benefit from the knowledge in this forum.

Thanks,

Ollie

You ask a question that can have many answers. The quality of gear will have a profound effect on the average. How many goodies and gadgets are you including? Remember all the bolt snaps, lights, slates, spare masks, snorkels,save-a-dive kit, cameras, cases, gear bags, weights etc, etc.

See where this is going? Perhaps you should go online to one of the Scuba gear vendors and start pricing gear you thing is basic and see how much you come up with.

Good luck on your presentation.

All my equip inql. drysuit and tank aprox. 2500-2800 USD

My current warm water set costed around 1800$ +computer around 700$

Reqs
Spg
Fins
Mask
BP/w

I'd need some quick info and would appreciate the help. Need to know the average cost for dive gear, and I mean everything... for the whole kit. New or used.

:rofl3:

How long is a piece of string?

Hi Bacalhau,

There is nothing wrong with the question, but to get any kind of an valid answer, you'll need to narrow down what type of diving (warm, cold) and an approximate budget; and whether you will dive locally (in which case owning your own tanks can be a plus), whether you plan to buy ALL of your equipment, or rent some, etc.

Otherwise it is like asking how much a "automobile, truck, or bus" would cost, without narrowing down the type of vehicle any further.

Best wishes.

EDIT: Sorry, I re-read your post and saw you did say warm water. Ballpark, if bought online, new entry-to-mid-range gear, before shipping & any taxes:

Mask, fins, snorkel: $150
3mm wetsuit, gloves, booties: $220
Basic no-frills jacket BC: $180
Regulator, octo, & combo spg/depth gauge: $600-700
Basic single gas dive computer: $200
Weightbelt & weights: $46 (For 8# of weight, SS buckle,standard 2" webbing)
Aluminum 80 tank: $200

Grand total: About $1,700 or so will get a diver into warm water with basic gear. The one piece of gear in the above that I consider above "entry level" was a Scubapro Mk-17/G-250v reg (at Leisurepro).

Last edited:
About 10,000 dollars should make a dent in a good start.

N

my first set of stuff was $1300 i think. that was fins, mask, booties, snorkel, bc, wetsuit, hood, regs, simple computer, console...but not tanks.

Voit snug pack. steel 72 and Voit Fifty Fathom reg ten bucks used in 1967.

...also, I see you're from India......many counties have import taxes/tariffs and I have no idea how something like that would affect the answer to your question...that could by itself substantially impact any possible quoted prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom