Cost of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

32% nitrox fills (100 cu ft singles) $2.00

21/35 Trimix fills (108 cu ft doubles) $25

O2 fills $0.09/cu ft.

Having your own fill station and compressor, priceless.:wink:

Air fills, including filters, electricity and maintenance on the compressor cost me a little over $1/fill, but I seldom if ever dive air any more.

My diving costs me nothing.

I get free air from the shop because I work there as an instructor.

I have a lease-car from my employer and fuel costs are included in the lease so I pay the same if I drive it 50,000 km or don't drive it at all.

My regular dive buddy is a service tech and we have the odd "fiddle with gear" days when one of us can't dive for some reason so getting my gear serviced (apart from tanks) costs me the price of the parts.

I seldom dive places where you have to pay entry.

R..

At home in CA I pay $10 for 32% in my steel 120's - add the cost of gas and that's my shore diving cost in La Jolla.

Boats are more - sometimes I work as a DM and can get some trips out of the deal - generally run $60-$80

This doesn't include the cost of gear/training/etc....

Trip to Tobermory, Ontario... in Canadian $
Daily park pass - $5
Annual park pass $20
Air fill $9
Nitrox fill $18
2 tank boat charter $65-75
approx $60 for gas round trip

Let's see,
Fly to Tortola, 600 per person
boat charter $7000.00
tank rental and weights $60 per tank so $240 per person
air 6-8$ per fill.

so I guess cost per dive is um.... irrelevant, I am in BVI diving.

Seasonal pass @ my local dive quarry (Whitestar)... $120 for the entire year vs. $15/day... I'll more than make up the difference by the end of the year...

Airfills... bought a tank through my LDS at the end of last year... one of his perks is , buy a tank through him and get free fills for a year... its gonna offset the cost of the tank significantly by the end of the year...

So... as far as what it cost me That Day of diving, it costs me the price of gas gettin' out there... (40 min. drive)...

cant see it getting More economical than that any time soon...

Sell the tank at the end of the year on Ebay - buy a new one next year from the same shop.... make the system work for you...:cool2:

In Austin, Mansfield Dive Park annual pass is $75, or a daily fee of $8. Free air if you are with the Scubaland club. I refuse to pay $15 for the "other" place in Austin.

I don't know what I pay for nitrox since I so rarely dive it (outside of deco gas).

Air costs me $40/year
40CF of deco gas (either 50% or 100%) is about $15
200CF of back gas (up to 80% Helium) is about $75

Sofnolime: $6.00
Batteries: $1.00
Trimix & O2 for several dives: $0.000000001

:wink:

I asked a CCR diver this weekend who quoted his average dive day (up to about 5 hours) at $15 including diluent (15/55 which he dives from the surface down to about 250), sorb, and oxygen. There's also regular maintenance (such as oxygen sensor replacement) to consider.

And I suppose if he has to bailout the dive cost will more that double :p

Back
Top Bottom