Cost for servicing gear each year??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as bob just said its not rocket science BUT ive seen some real bad service for so called lds , ALSO from the diy side ive seen some real insane stuff done so if your a informed smart diver it might be some thing you want to do yourself , but then again ive seen so called smart people put windshield wiper fluid in the radiator over flow because "I know how to add wiper fluid )

The DIY group for reg servicing I think is pretty small. The number of divers that actually have a decent technical grasp of how their regs work if maybe a bit larger, but I think pretty small.

I think most divers simply believe the industry, and do what the industry says. I belong to a large (200+ member), and active (~150 local dives posted in 2017, ignoring trips). I'm one of the few that do their own regs. Most just have them serviced and deal with 'sticker shock'. I've also adjusted a fair number of regs at the dive site that just came back from servicing. 2nd stage, minor adjustment tweak and not horribly uncommon if you know what is happening. I always check IP before making any tweaks to a reg in the field.

I gave up on Scubapro's annual warranty over 10 years ago. Seems Scubapro has too...mostly.

I do find some folks here are a little overzealous of jumping right to telling folks that they should be servicing stuff themselves, and I'd rather see a push up understanding their equipment (stuff like the "regulator checklist") being presented (thanks to those that do). Periodic payed for service is an okay approach as well as DIY if you are so inclined. Annual service to maintain some magical "warranty" is just plain silly....

Good points. So I'm sure it's been addressed much but I think I will start a new thread and ask: Is the warranty even worth it, what does it cover? (I realize that will differ per brand but.....what are the pros and cons of warranties verses maintenance fees)? I

Good points. So I'm sure it's been addressed much but I think I will start a new thread and ask: Is the warranty even worth it, what does it cover? (I realize that will differ per brand but.....what are the pros and cons of warranties verses maintenance fees)? I
As you said, it depends upon your brand. Basically what you save as parts cost, or $50 to $100 per service. You'll still need to pay $90 labor for three pieces, at an interval of every 1 to 3 years depending upon manufacture. Mostly it's just the hassle factor. Keeping your receipts, or staying with one dive shop who has the records or arguing about an interval if you didn't dive for awhile.
If you're okay with spending the extra $100 on parts every three years, then it's almost a wash.
All of this discussion about extended service intervals that may exceed mfr recommendations are predicated on REALLY keeping your gear clean in between trips. It doesn't take much for salt and moisture to take its toll on places you can't see. Be obsessive about that. I'm still diving my Scubapro Mk10 from 1986. You can only do that if...

Then there's a whole discussion about sealed versus unsealed regulators, but I don't think I want to open that Pandora's box again just now. You can search SB for those discussions.

I do find some folks here are a little overzealous of jumping right to telling folks that they should be servicing stuff themselves, and I'd rather see a push up understanding their equipment (stuff like the "regulator checklist") being presented (thanks to those that do). Periodic payed for service is an okay approach as well as DIY if you are so inclined. Annual service to maintain some magical "warranty" is just plain silly....
I am not sure about servicing my own but I prefer not to pay for a service that isn't really needed at the moment. Running over the regulator checklist is probably a pretty good way to avoid unneeded expense.

To me it is something akin to running a car - you check the oil, tyres, fluid levels etc but only take it in if and when it needs something.

neilwo so its not a good idea to replace when it wears outod not exactly the same ...the o rings/parts wear out (dynamic ) or deteriorate so if you wait till it fails that's not the best policy,

Shop I frequent charges $70 for a standard reg service plus the cost of any large parts.

neilwo so its not a good idea to replace when it wears outod not exactly the same ...the o rings/parts wear out (dynamic ) or deteriorate so if you wait till it fails that's not the best policy,
You would (hopefully) replace the tires on your car well before they failed, and change the oil at some appropriate interval, not when you were down to 3 quarts of mud.

I don't think anyone is suggesting waiting until a reg fails (I also think an outright failure of a reg is uncommon unless you have been horrible to it...or you just had it serviced and someone screwed up.) On a reg you can pay attention to how it breathes and sounds, and note if that changes. You can get it inspected, or at least check the IP. You can decide on an inspection or service interval that makes sense for you.

(First) - Does anyone know a typical price for getting my new gear serviced next year when I get ready to take my vacation? (Regulator, first & second stage plus octo).

(Second) - Do the gauges need serviced each year, if so how much is that?
There is a lot of 'information' in the responses, including not an insignificant amount of cynicism.

1. The general range for service of a regulator is $25 - $35 per stage. It may be higher at some facilities, probably not lower. Servicing a stage - first or second - properly may take an hour, possibly more, and so the hourly rate really isn't that high, notwithstanding the rather interesting view of some that such service should somehow be free.

2. The replacement parts kits are an additional expense and may run $15-40 per stage. If the regulator is under a warranty, or a 'free parts for life' sales promotion, then you may not have to pay for parts.

3. Some shops will build the broader aspects of service - inspection and cleaning of gauges (the threading and hoses, primarily), for example - into the overall price of annual service. Some won't. Do the gauges NEED to be serviced? If there is no manufacturer specification, the general answer is, 'No.' There is a reasonable body of experience among service technicians that many users DO NOT adequately rinse their regulators in fresh water after use, even though they think they do, and that corrosion is more common than users suspect. So, the argument could be made that annual inspection, at the very least, is a good idea.

You are not required to service your regulators. You can simply use them for X number of years and replace them, if you wish. You can use them for X number of years until a problem develops, and have them serviced then, if you wish. You can decrease the likelihood of needing service by proper care - rinsing with fresh water after use, storage in a climate moderate area, etc. That is not an absolute guarantee of continued proper performance, but is a statistically useful prognostic variable.

Before simply submitting regulators for service at a LDS or service facility, you should ask a) what is the charge, b) what is included, c) are parts included, or separate? That way you know what to expect.

Back
Top Bottom