Corrosion on housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vogelm755

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What caused this type of corrosion on the camera housing? How best to remove it?

Attachments

• DEC34DAC-0237-463B-9916-5466A48D7F89.jpeg
    DEC34DAC-0237-463B-9916-5466A48D7F89.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 38
Corrosion happens in salt water. I use a 50/50 alcohol/water solution and remove it with a q-tip. Turn it upside down so the vinegar doesn't go into the o-rings. If you are handy, you can also get new o-rings for the buttons and do a complete button rebuild. Then you could put the buttons in an ultrasonic cleaner to get them really shiny! I also put zincs on my housing tray to try and minimize corrosion. You can get small circular ones at West Marine or another boating store and bolt them onto the metal somewhere out of the way.

Corrosion happens in salt water. I use a 50/50 alcohol/water solution and remove it with a q-tip. Turn it upside down so the vinegar doesn't go into the o-rings. If you are handy, you can also get new o-rings for the buttons and do a complete button rebuild. Then you could put the buttons in an ultrasonic cleaner to get them really shiny! I also put zincs on my housing tray to try and minimize corrosion. You can get small circular ones at West Marine or another boating store and bolt them onto the metal somewhere out of the way.
Thank you very much for your helpful reply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom