Corrective Masks and the rest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was hoping someone could give me some good info on experiences that they have had with masks that have the option of having corrective lenses. The first hurdle that I have seen is that my prescription is fairly high, ruling out some of the masks, or at least what I have been able to tell. I'm looking at -6 to -7.

That being said, I have found some masks from Tusa and the Mares X-vision. Is there anything else out there? And in your opinion, what's the best option? Price isn't too much of a factor in this, but I would like to keep it as low as possible and still have some good gear.

In addition to this, what other gear would you reccomend for the beginner diver? I understand some of you believe that it would be best to go through the course first, and choose gear from there, but here on Okinawa, options (as far as I can tell) are somewhat limited, and if I'm going to order something online, I would like to do it all at once to save on some shipping charges.

To sum it up, what corrective masks would you reccomend? How about gear (fins, mask, snorkel, boots)? What are the good, reputable sites to get stuff from? Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Never put my mask on my forehead because I'm blind as a bat without it.

I've 2 bifocal masks from Sea-Vision USA, one clear and one with color correcting lenses.

I love both of them.

The Sea-Vision skirts are fantastic and offer a great fit.

the K

I was hoping someone could give me some good info on experiences that they have had with masks that have the option of having corrective lenses. The first hurdle that I have seen is that my prescription is fairly high, ruling out some of the masks, or at least what I have been able to tell. I'm looking at -6 to -7.

That being said, I have found some masks from Tusa and the Mares X-vision. Is there anything else out there? And in your opinion, what's the best option? Price isn't too much of a factor in this, but I would like to keep it as low as possible and still have some good gear.

In addition to this, what other gear would you reccomend for the beginner diver? I understand some of you believe that it would be best to go through the course first, and choose gear from there, but here on Okinawa, options (as far as I can tell) are somewhat limited, and if I'm going to order something online, I would like to do it all at once to save on some shipping charges.

To sum it up, what corrective masks would you reccomend? How about gear (fins, mask, snorkel, boots)? What are the good, reputable sites to get stuff from? Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Yes you are correct on the "fairly high" part, the average myopic patient in the US is ~-3.50 D.....2 things , how old are you(over 40 y.o. & you'll have to worry about presbyopia-ie bifocals needed for near point) and 2nd do you have any astigmatism(2nd & 3rd numbers of the Rx)---over ~1.25 D. of it & you'll still experience some uncorrected prescription ie blurry vision @ both distance & near......Just 2 other things to consider, good luck on the gear finding.........

I was hoping someone could give me some good info on experiences that they have had with masks that have the option of having corrective lenses. The first hurdle that I have seen is that my prescription is fairly high, ruling out ......To sum it up, what corrective masks would you reccomend? quote]

I tried a corrective lens in the mask and didn't like it. I need correction for near and far and also have some astigmatism so I got contacts that would correct for all, one for far vision in one eye, one for up close in the other. Tried them diving, being careful not to expose my eyes directly to the water, and they worked great above and below the surface. If you can wear contacts it's the only way to go in my opinion.

I have the Cressi Focus w/ corrective lenses (-2.50 in both eyes) because I'm a Migraineur and suffer terrible headaches when faced with any type of eye strain. It's made all the difference in the world to me.

-Tim

I currently wear contacts, but I wear gas perms (hard lenses), which are much smaller and could float out pretty easily, however getting a few pairs of soft lenses would be a good option too, thanks!

We use a company that custom grinds and bonds lens into any mask including single lens.

All that is required is your prescription including the PPD measurement.

$130.00 for single rx
$150.00 for Bi-Focal

3 week turn around is typical

It gives greater freedom in selecting a mask you like. The lens may be removed at a later date and swapped into another mask if the need arises. You might look into that in your area.

gear for a beginning diver? .. maybe your regulator? and don't scrimp on it, get a good solid one that is in the upper-middle road price wize and you'll do well

Prescription mask I've saved from searches and posts ...
D_B:

I used the two different power soft contact lens thing before getting my hydro optic mask and had no trouble with doing it that way (eyes are a -6 on land .. I used a -5.25 in one eye and -4.25 in the other .. I could see far away and my gages too )

Unfortunately,... I'm having to go to prescription lenses in my mask:shakehead:. I wear glasses almost all the time since I was 13. The water has corrected my vision in the open water very nicely, but I found out going through my cave course that I was having some problems seeing the guideline at all times. In the dark there, the line would blend in with the surroundings. I figured it can't hurt to try when I go back next month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom