Corrective Jaw Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flashpoint340

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey!

Within the next few weeks(hopefully in about 2 weeks) I will be having corrective jaw surgery, both the top jaw and lower jaw, to correct an underbite.

I have a dive trip scheduled for May 17. My oral surgeon has requested that I stay out of work for 3 weeks to ensure that the jaw heals properly and to reduce the chance I fall and break it. After 3 weeks I should be ok to return to "regular" activities.

Assuming I have the surgery in 2-3 weeks, that would leave only 4 1/2-5 1/2 weeks until my dive trip.

My concern is if their might be to much strain on the jaw while diving given the amount of time to recover between surgery and trip.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be most helpful.
Thanks!

Just from passing observations of a such procedures, you can expect some residual swelling and numbness. These should resolve within the 3wks but you'd want to monitor them if the recovery goes longer because they could affect your ability to hold and seal your lips on your regulator, especially for long periods of time. Also, it's not unusual to wear post-op appliances/braces for a time and although they may be removable, there may be anchor points which could affect the fit and comfort of your regulator mouthpiece.

I actually have had braces on for just over three years, anchor balls have been on for around 8 months. I have had no problems with diving with them.

I have heard many people deal with numbness in the lower lip which concerns me. If at the time I think I am up to it, a pool dive will definitely be something I will do.

" Hi, this is for Flashpoint340. I just read that you're going to have Corrective Jaw Surgery. I agree with what the other member said about having that surgery done, he/ she is right. You can expect to be sore after you've the sugrery done. But, then again, you might not be. I should know, because I had the same Sugery done, myself. I was 22 years old when I had that done. One of the Oral Surgery Residents told me the day I came in to the Hospital for the surgery that I was going to be sore after the Surgery, but I wasn't. But, I was sick after I had the surgery, I threw up some of the Blood that went down in to my stomach. And I threw up from the Anisethic. But I wasn't sore from the Surgery itself. I couldn't go for a swim for awhile after that. But when I did go for a swim, I had to stay in the shallow end of the pool. But I wasn't in to diving then[Free Diving}. So now, because of me having the surgery done, there are some Sports I can't particpate in. Boxing is one of them, and Mixed Martial Arts is the other one I can't particpate in, because I have peices of Metal and I have a peice of my Hip Bone in my mouth. I can understand where the Drs who did the Surgery are coming from. And, I have to avoid Physical fights as well. So, if you have any questions about the Sugery, feel free to ask me about my personal experiences with it. I've said enough. Have a nice day, ok? " Snorkelcorey.

Hey flashpoint340,

Corrective jaw surgery is a nice way of saying the doctor is going to break my jaw and reposition the pieces.

Typically, a minimum healing period for a fracture is around 6 weeks. That is assuming no complications. At that point, the bone will not be "mature". That can take up to a year. When your doctor mentioned "regular activities" I am certain he was not referring to scuba diving. Rather, he meant eating, drinking, talking, etc.

Most of the time, rigid fixation is used to splint the bone pieces together during the healing period. This means metal plates with screws. After initial healing the rigid fixation will continue to reinforce the newly healed bone.

You are cutting it very close with your return to diving following surgery. The bone will not be as strong as it could be once mature. Holding the regulator in your mouth applies substantial force to the jaw bones. Depending on exactly where the surgical breaks were created determines how much of these forces will be focused onto the newly healed bone.

I personally would like to see around 3 months of healing prior to a return to diving. You might, however manage to get away with it.

Remember, you must be able to comfortably hold the regulator in your mouth for the duration of a dive. You must be off all pain medications and any therapies for possible complications. Swollen tissue may have a circulatory compromise and present an unknown difference in dissolved gas accumulation and removal. They may well be some residual numbness or muscle weakness or being prone to muscle spasm.

Consider all of this before your decide to return to diving. Speak to your surgeon once more and explain what is involved with holding a regulator in your mouth. Your decision to dive should be based on sound medical considerations rather than the fact that you have existing reservations for a dive vacation.

Ultimately, it is your decision to make. Just be careful.

Regards,

Laurence Stein, DDS

Laurence Stein,

Thank you for posting on this topic.

I am going to have a consultation appointment with my surgeon soon. At which point he will go into depth about the surgery and recovery. I am going to express my concerns about this matter to him. If he thinks their is a possibility at all, I will not risk it without a pool dive prior to my trip.

The good news is that I am taking a cruise! So if I miss out on the 5 dives I have scheduled it is not the end all to the trip. As long as I am not still sipping shakes through a straw for nutrition, it will be ok.

Thanks again.

I had a similar surgery on my lower jaw several years ago, with titanium plates and screws to hold the pieces together. It was probably six months before I was able to hold a regulator in my mouth without severe pain. I also had numbness to my tongue and face from about eyes down for over a year, and almost 8 years later I will still have transient numbness, and pain. Maybe my surgeon screwed up, or I'm just unlucky. If I had it to do again there is no way I would go through with it. Anyway, hope things go well for you and you are able to enjoy your trip. And I recommend the Seacure mouthpiece, without it I still would have to swim around holding my regulator in with my hand to keep my jaw from hurting. Definitly talk to your doc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom