Correcting Colour Cast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last August I went for a fun diving trip in Indonesia for 10 days, and on the second day flooded my strobe. I spent the rest of the time shooting with natural light, which was nice for a couple of reasons--first of all it made the whole rig so much smaller that it was not such a pain to haul around; next I was forced to do manual white balancing, adjust the exposure compensation, and shoot up to get more light into the lens. I think it was actually more technically challenging to take pictures without a strobe and have them come out reasonably well with only minor digital darkroom processing to do than it is to shoot with a strobe. I kind of liked it, from a learning standpoint. I have to admit, though, that I quickly replaced that flooded strobe!

... if you care to share more on using LAB space to do this correction...

Sure, here you go... You will have to convert your original to 16 bit (if you wish) and then to L*ab mode. After that you can follow the chart.

Lab_workflow_underwater.jpg

Mhhh... the forum scales the picture down... let's see if a link to a full res version on DPReview works...

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/2042632.jpg

if it doesn't, here is the direct link to the forum discussion over there

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1006&message=36182474&changemode=1

enjoy... and if you don't understand, ask! :)

I'll have to try this out

When I go to DPReview site ... if I click twice image is OK ... but if I download the image is too small.

Any chance you could email me a copy of the image ? .... or put a high res copy on a sharing site ?
Be good to have a good size copy of the Tutorial ... and I'll try it out.

Are you aware of any background primers on LabSpace ,,, I know little about it.

I'll have to try this out

When I go to DPReview site ... if I click twice image is OK ... but if I download the image is too small.

The image is in a gray bounding box. If you click on the title of the image, you should be redirected to the gallery it is in, and there you can choose what size you want to download. If you click on 'original' you should be OK.

---------- Post added ----------

If you do a Google Search on 'how does Lab color work' you should find plenty of tutorials. A nice one that I spotted on the first page with results, is here:

http://photo.net/learn/digital-phot...toshop-tutorials/using-lab-color-adjustments/

The image is in a gray bounding box. If you click on the title of the image, you should be redirected to the gallery it is in, and there you can choose what size you want to download. If you click on 'original' you should be OK.

---------- Post added ----------

If you do a Google Search on 'how does Lab color work' you should find plenty of tutorials. A nice one that I spotted on the first page with results, is here:

Advanced Photoshop Tutorial: Using LAB Color Adjustments - photo.net

Ta ... I'll go read

Back
Top Bottom