Correct way(s) to transport tanks ina car/van, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Babydamulag:
Transporting SCUBA tanks under pressure in an automobile creates challenges that are very unique. The temperature in a car can exceed 140 degree farenheit (burst disks will take care of the cylinder if the temperature gets too high)...

Pressure in a tank rises 5psi for every degree. If the tanks are filled at 80 degrees temp and the temp goes up to 140, that's only a 300psi increase. I'm not picking on you, but I've heard this argument a lot, but I've never heard of a tank getting overpressurized in a car due to heat. A simple transport should be okay. It's storing them in a location that will see those kinds of temps for a long period of time that will weaken or blow the disks. I regularly transport several tanks in my van in the Arizona heat. Occasionally the tanks will sit in the van for several hours (like when I'm diving other tanks). I also have a few 100% tanks that go for rides. The main thing is to secure them so they don't roll around and damage the valves or anything else in the vehicle. Of course, if you get doubles, you can just lay them on the floor and not worry about that. :D

Wayne:

Its stopped raining. Here are pictures. In the first, you will also notice the awning frame (which also holds a curtain to make changing easier and legal) and the sun shower for cleaning up after a dive.

The rack is from 3/4 inch plywood. Although you can't see it, the base extends back another foot under the rear seat for stability. The pieces are all glued and screwed in place. The whole thing is bolted to the floor.

Bowzer:
Are there any specific recommendations for orienting a tank in a car or van for transport? When putting my tanks in my Subaru, I place them butt facing the back, on the assumption that were I rearranged, the valve would be better protected and should the valve fracture the tank would be propelled away from the passengers and probably into the engine block of the other vehicle. I know others who state that their instructors told them to face the valve to the back. I have just gotten a van (too much scuba stuff for the Subaru) and am looking for advice on the safest way to orientated the cylinders (vertical is probably out). Have there been any studies done, etc? should it be for and aft, sideways, which way should the valves face?

I point the valves toward the back of the car. I figure if someone rear-ends me and snaps a valve off then it's better for everyone if it blows out and hits the car directly behind. My car is low in the back so it would probably hit his engine.... The other options are unacceptable, namely taking it in the back or lining it up to fly out the side of the car where it could hit a pedestrian.

R..

I bought a Pelican rack about 20 years ago.

http://www.pelican-cases-flashlights.com/pelican-tank-rack.htm

I store the tanks in it in the garage, transport them in it in my truck, and tie it down on the boat. It a little rusty now, so I keep a piece of carpet to put it on.

If I am only transporting a couple of tanks I use foam racks. with a bungie cord wrapped around the valves.

Diver0001:
I point the valves toward the back of the car. I figure if someone rear-ends me and snaps a valve off then it's better for everyone if it blows out and hits the car directly behind. My car is low in the back so it would probably hit his engine.... The other options are unacceptable, namely taking it in the back or lining it up to fly out the side of the car where it could hit a pedestrian.

R..
I am a little confused. Do you mean the valve blow out or the tank? Seems to me that were the valve facing the back of the vehicle, the valve might fly off toward the rear, but the tank itself, would fly forward and collect the occupants. Am I missing something? My thought on mounting the tank sideways is that no matter how placed, the distance between the tank and the steel wall is not all thet great so momentum should not have the time required to achieve large values. then again I would not want to be inside whilt it rattled around either..

I like the rig ItsBruce has. Seems vertical is the way to go. Now to figure out how, the van is brand new and I don't want to get too creative with a drill... I will post when I figure something out. Thanks all for the input

Bowzer: If you look around, you will probably find some bolts already in the floor of the van, e.g. to hold seats in place, to hold seatbelts, etc. You may be able to tie in to those without drilling holes in the van itself. My DiveMobile is just for diving or hauling junk, so holes are not an issue. Neither is wet gear, which is why I got it in the first place.

People often worry about the wrong things. Spectacular, but very infrequent events get much more attention that warranted, while routine everyday things that can dramatically affect your life get ignored.

I worry about the REAL danger. Putting them into the trunk with the valve handle facing rearward is easier on my BACK!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom