Correct Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sig

Reaction score
Hi,

I should be getting a set of doubles with isolation manifold next week and I was wondering if someone can supply me with correct hose configurations. Pictures would help.

I will be diving with a set of 104 doubles with 2 Zeagle 50D regs and a OMS dual bladder BC with IQ pack and drysuit. Please suggest hose lenths as well.

Check the following links for assembly pictures

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/backup_reg_routing.jpg

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/regs_config_top_view.jpg

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/regs_config_top_view2.jpg

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/backup_reg.jpg

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/regs_setup.jpg

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/long_hose.jpg

Primary hose: 7'
Secondary hose: 22"
SPG hose: 24"

Basically, off your left post, you will run your SPG and your secondary reg. Off the right post, you will run your primary reg and BC infaltor hose.

Thanks for the pics. Do any of you use a 2nd pressure gauge in the event you have to use the isolator. I know the dive would be considered over in the event of this happening but I figured it would be a good idea to know what you had left in case you had some deco stops.

same thing about a second SPG.

You plan your dive so you'll have enough gas to complete the dive if you have to isolate.

If you have to isolate, the dive is aborted and due to your prior planning you know you have enough gas.

The SPG is probably the most common failure point in a reg setup. Any kind of warm-and-fuzzy knowledge about how much gas you have left is more than countered by the added risk of failure of a second SPG.

Only one SPG on the left post.

Roak

Liek you said, if you have to isolate, the dive is over. Also, if you are doing a dive that is going to require more than a couple of minutes of deco, then you would/should be carrying a deco bottle anyway. Also, if you are doing deco on backgas, and you run out, you simply finish your deco by breathing off of your buddies primary.

Thanks for the help. The owner of the LDS I dive at uses 2 spg's so I thought I would ask.

I was also wondering about the hose placement for your 6' or 7' reg setup. I have seen suggestions on this board of a routing the hose over your shoulder and under the arm. I had at one time seen someone wearing it bungeed to the tank. This would seem more preferable. Does anyone around here use this method or is it not recommend by DIR. If anyone does use this method which tank do you bungee it to. Any reasons why one method is used and not the other.

Their are a lot of reasons not to bungee your primary regulator (the one on the 7foot hose) to your tank. I will simply talk about 2 of them.

1)If you have to deploy your long hose, you have a very good chance of getting the hose caught on something and tangled in the bungee. It could take longer to deploy, and those extra seconds count.

2)If you do deploy your long hose, and need to restow it, how do you do it? You have to have your buddy restow your hose. This make absolutely no sense to me at all. You should be able to do it yourself.

As for the routing of the long hose, bring it down your back, and under your right arm, if you are wearing a canister light, tuck the hose under it. Bring the hose up across your chest to your left shoulder. From there, bring it around the back of your head, and into your mouth. If you are not wearing a canister light, use the smae routing, but tuck the extra into your waist band.

Originally posted by sig
Hi,

I should be getting a set of doubles with isolation manifold next week and I was wondering if someone can supply me with correct hose configurations. Pictures would help.

I will be diving with a set of 104 doubles with 2 Zeagle 50D regs and a OMS dual bladder BC with IQ pack and drysuit. Please suggest hose lenths as well.

Most has been said already but i missed a comment about your BC, why would you want to use a dual bladder BC? You add failure points plus if you have an inflator that leaks it will be harder to find out which one it is, i think you are making things more complicated than they need to be using a dual bladder, your drysuit is your backup bouyancy device should you need it.
IMHO dual bladders is asking for problems. Do yourself a favour and use a single bladder non-bungeed wing.

Hi sheck,

Thanks for your comments. I was actually waiting for someone to say something about my BC. At this time I have very few dives on this rig. I did have some dives on this setup before I bought it and I liked it very much.

Let me first start by saying I am by no means a long time diver. Only about a year with 51 dives most of which were logged from lake diving in N. Calif. Most of my dives have been between 100 and 130ft and my curiosity for the deep and technical is growing each time. I am nitrox certified and hope to be tri mix certified by next summer. Money willing. I've also practically changed all my diving gear with the exception of my regulator which after trying several I like very much. I believe the only way to be sure is to try most of this stuff out yourself and get a feel for it. I do however take all comments to heart but sometimes I believe it is best to come up with your own choices after taking certain considerations.

My reasons for the bungeed OMS. From what I have gathered from local divers and from this board the company has a good product. The second reason is after trying it I enjoyed the rig very much. It was comfortable and easy to maintain buoyancy. I liked the bungee because they sped up the deflation and left little room for air pockets to get caught. I personally see air being pushed out as a positive as I'd rather sink and have time to regain my buoyancy than to shoot to the top and have little time to recover and be faced with the bends or an air embolism. As to the second bladder. Well that was a matter of the price is right. I also do not see a large problem with it as I believe in redundancy. For one your right my drysuit is my backup buoyancy device so if a point did fail on the BC at least I'd have my suit. If I did have a stuck inflator I would remove both. Yes it's more work than is necessary but is it a major overkill. Not from what I have gathered. Not yet anyway. I have actually only read about one situation. I'm not sure but I believe it was on a GUE page where they mentioned a deflator pull string getting stuck in a bungee. Which as you pointed out I would still have my back up buoyancy from my suit. If there are other case of problems with these kinds of BC's I'd love to hear about them. I'm always open for change. It may take awhile do to money issues but I am not the kind of person who makes the assumption that my way is the only way.

Just out of curiosity why did you assume I was using the bungee as I don't recall writing that I was. Your not going to try to sell me a Halcyon BC are you. Just kidding. Seriously though, I kind of get the impression that DIR is a bit of a marketing ploy for companies like Halcyon. Although I have nothing against DIR. I have actually been doing my research and I like the taught techniques But unless there is conclusive evidence that my BC has problems does that make my personal choice wrong. If you find me floating face down in the lake you can say yes.

Like I said I am open for opinions even bad, all your help has been appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom