Corporate Idiotcy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calvinandhobbs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I don't mean to turn this site into Dilbert.com, but I have to complain. I just learned that my company has hired a "VP of Product Engineering". This means the corporate structure above me is

CEO
VP fo Product Engineering
Director of Engineeing
Design-Group Manager
Group Leader
Me

That's five people above me. So, why do I complain? Because there are only 34 people in my company!!!!!

Anyone else out there have to deal with this sort of thing???

Calvinandhobbs:
I don't mean to turn this site into Dilbert.com, but I have to complain. I just learned that my company has hired a "VP of Product Engineering". This means the corporate structure above me is

CEO
VP fo Product Engineering
Director of Engineeing
Design-Group Manager
Group Leader
Me

That's five people above me. So, why do I complain? Because there are only 34 people in my company!!!!!

Anyone else out there have to deal with this sort of thing???

You could have 33 people above you :D

However, I can feel your pain if, as usual in many overmanaged corporations, the 5 above you seem to have nothing to do but ask you what you are doing and why so that they can populate some 'reports' and pretend to be working. Or are calling you into 'meetings' 5 or 6 times a month to explain why you are not able to get more done ('cause I'm always wasting my time on phone or at meetings designed mostly to justify their positions)

When I did supervisory/management type work, my rule was to stay the hell out of the workers way and make sure they had what they needed to get their job done, I didn't make them drive several hours to sit in weekly hour or more long meetings about why we can't keep up with incoming service calls.

NadMat:
However, I can feel your pain if, as usual in many overmanaged corporations, the 5 above you seem to have nothing to do but ask you what you are doing and why so that they can populate some 'reports' and pretend to be working. Or are calling you into 'meetings' 5 or 6 times a month to explain why you are not able to get more done ('cause I'm always wasting my time on phone or at meetings designed mostly to justify their positions)

This doesn't happen as much as you would think. But that's becasue many of the managers spend their time traveling first class to visit "potential customers" or "potential vendors".

I wonder how long our venture-capital funding will last.

Corporate Idiotcy.....isn't that redundant?

Joe

In my experience, the more folks above me the better. I've been in supervision/management and hated it. I'd much rather just be one of the Indians. Just as long as I'm not on the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to lay-offs.

I only had to deal with a supervisor and the exec. director at my previous job...but they were two of the most deceitful, gossipy, backstabbing individuals I've had the displeasure of working with.

Back
Top Bottom