Corporate Foreign Diving ousts Dive Palancar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear ladyfingers,

Yes, we do have PADI approved Dive Master internships that last two months at a time. They learn everything about a dive op from cleaning tanks, working the front desk, to safety procedures that we use. Usually no more than 3 or 4 at a time and they NEVER lead a dive group, but occasionally tag along, learning the Aldora way of leading dive groups. Name a country, even Mexico and we have probably had one or more citizen of that country in our DM internship program.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

in a belated effort to get this thread back on track, I have split off a number of side discussions which may be found elsewhere in the Cozumel forum. Please stick to the intent of the OP's question and comments, or post in those other threads, or start a new thread. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Mmm you are so strict. :)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

in a belated effort to get this thread back on track, I have split off a number of side discussions which may be found elsewhere in the Cozumel forum. Please stick to the intent of the OP's question and comments, or post in those other threads, or start a new thread. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Do you recommend checking in with you prior to posting to verify that posts are on track? :confused:

what's more damaging to the local dive businesses, the one big foreign corporation that employes a few foreigners or all the tiny, shoe string ops cutting prices to the bone while they operate on a shoe string, paying locals under the table so they have no basic benefits, no safety net, no future, one incident away from disaster and making it harder on legitimate shops to turn a profit charging enough to operate above board and maintain equipment properly and pay taxes and locals above board?

"like"

---------- Post added December 14th, 2013 at 05:46 AM ----------

That is an interesting sentence structure. In what language/region did it originate. Clearly not English learned in the United States. Probably not English.

Once again, your knowledge about dive business in Cozumel is almost unbelievable for someone who does not reside there.

Since when do MSDT's have to do internships? BTW, I have been an MSDT since 2002, so I can speak with some authority on this.

Becoming an MSDT requires having 25 certs under your belt and getting signed off on a variety specialties once you have 10 dives in each respective specialty - oh yes, and paying your fee to PADI to teach each specialty and ordering the corresponding teaching outline for that course. No "internship" or special training required to become an MSDT vs. an OWSI - it just basically means you have some certs under your belt.

PADI specialties are nothing "special" and other than nitrox and perhaps wreck diving (when properly done with a true tech/wreck diving instructor in a wreck environment) and the deep diver cert - the rest are just another way for PADI to collect more certification dollars from card collectors. I cannot even in good conscious take money for a "drift diver" or "boat diving" or certain other specialties and will often discourage people from these card collector specialties.

Dear ladyfingers,

Yes, we do have PADI approved Dive Master internships that last two months at a time. They learn everything about a dive op from cleaning tanks, working the front desk, to safety procedures that we use. Usually no more than 3 or 4 at a time and they NEVER lead a dive group, but occasionally tag along, learning the Aldora way of leading dive groups. Name a country, even Mexico and we have probably had one or more citizen of that country in our DM internship program.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I recall diving with a couple of your interns. At the shop, I saw them cleaning our gear. They did dive briefings, led the group along the reef, and shot the DSMB as we headed back up. They both did an excellent job, and did all this under the direct supervision of either Julio or Ali. This strikes me as exactly the right way for them to learn. Interns, in my opinion, are students and ought not be counted as staff for purposes of meeting the Mexican employment ratios.
Incidentially, are Julio and Ali still with you? We're coming down in February and would love to dive with them again. All your staff has been great, but they're our favorites.

Would like to add my two cents...
I am german and used to work for Dive Palancar, so they are not necessary only Mexican. To be fair I have to add that I was the only foreigner. Thats puts the ratio 50ish to 1. None of those guys there ever gave me the feeling that they didnt like a Non-Mexican working for their company and thought that I took a job from a native away.
And btw- I caim to be familiar with the divesites.
Comments about my English because I am not a nativespeaker are not welcome! Thanks!

Would like to add my two cents...
I am german and used to work for Dive Palancar, so they are not necessary only Mexican. To be fair I have to add that I was the only foreigner. Thats puts the ratio 50ish to 1. None of those guys there ever gave me the feeling that they didnt like a Non-Mexican working for their company and thought that I took a job from a native away.
And btw- I caim to be familiar with the divesites.
Comments about my English because I am not a nativespeaker are not welcome! Thanks!
I like your English.

Who is also supposed to be all legal and paying SS, I think someone said?
Does Mexico have a social security system? DWM wouldn't be paying US social security.

Does Mexico have a social security system? DWM wouldn't be paying US social security.

yes in fact we do and employees on full time payroll are required by law to receive this benefit. This is a big expense for th employers who do things by the book and protect themselves and their employees. While you may THINK that certain employees receive this benefit because thye have been working for a shop for awhile, it is not necessarily the case. Many shops get around this expense by hiring their crew on a contract basis - it is not the same. All of my main staff is in full time payroll and receive IMSS, INFONAVIT (another govt. subsidy benefit for retirement and housing)

Speaking of benefits - full time employees also get Christmas Bonus by law that are equivalent to 2 weeks pay - those have to be paid no later than Dec. 20 - so those of us running legitimately have alot more overhead than some which also accounts for pricing variances.

Back
Top Bottom