Question Melia Cozumel: Shallow Dive Operator, December...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Closer_2001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
It's been 11+ years since the wife and I dove Cozumel (we are Advanced OW/Nitrox) - then stayed at Occidental with our oldest son who was Jr. Certified at the time. Very laid back, fun, dove with Dive Palancar onsite. Our youngest daughter, Age: 10 just got certified in October '21 and we'd like to go back to Cozumel for a few days of diving in December. I'm assuming 2, two tank shallow dives and maybe a night dive.

Hotel Melia way up North has a special deal with Southwest Rapid Rewards which will help me earn Companion Pass for 2022 - I'm short on points. However, the onsite operator only leaves way South, 20 min ride out of Occidental. For a new young diver is this going to be just a bummer to ride 40 min in car? Is there a better option? Seems most of other options are still South of town and still a 15-25 min car ride.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. The Allegro down South is another option - but does not get us the Companion Pass for next year which is super handy... Decisions, Decisions.

Hotel Melia way up North has a special deal with Southwest Rapid Rewards which will help me earn Companion Pass for 2022 - I'm short on points. However, the onsite operator only leaves way South, 20 min ride out of Occidental. For a new young diver is this going to be just a bummer to ride 40 min in car? Is there a better option? Seems most of other options are still South of town and still a 15-25 min car ride.

Pro Dive is, or was, the onsite operator for the Melia. Guess it still is since you go to Occidental and Pro Dive is onsite. I did this same thing a few years ago. Didn't mind it as: 1) Pro Dive gave me and another diver an envelope each morning we dove with $20 (as I recall) and had a taxi waiting for us. We gave $10 for the both of us to the taxi driver for the ride down and $10 to the taxi driver who took us back to the Melia. Taxi's were waiting across the street from the Allegro/Occidental. 2) My taxi partner was a senator from Canada. We had some interesting conversations, so the length of ride wasn't really a factor. 3) It cuts a long 45-50 minute boat ride if you leave from somewhere (see below) in the north down to a 5-10 minute boat ride if you leave from the Occidental. **Although what many would term a cattle boat, when I dove with them, groups were small, and dives were 50-60 minutes. Depth is dependent on the site but we stayed pretty much between 55-75 feet. To stay more shallow may take a request.

There are some other options that I can provide:

1. Pepe Scuba is located at the Coral Princess which is about 1.7 miles south of the Melia. They go to the Marine Park - 50 minute boat ride - but may also do some dives in the north. I plan to dive some with them next week.

2. Salty Endeavors leaves from Puerto Abrigo, which is about 2 miles south of the Melia. Same deal as Pepe Scuba with boat rides of 50 minutes (they could be longer if they have to pick up customers along the way from different resorts. Of course they would have to then drop them off on the way back.)

3. Aldora picks up from Villa Aldora which is about 2.5 miles south of Melia, but I think that is transportation to their shop in town, so you would be taking the boat from their pier in town.

The decision for me would be whether or not I want to take a taxi farther south, whether into town, or even farther south (like Occidental south) , to cut down on the length of a boat ride or is it worth taking the long boat ride so I didn't have to pay for a taxi.

The following is a link to a chart I put together of dive ops in Cozumel - the latest update is on post #75. Maybe you can get some ideas from it such as how far some of the dive ops are from you. The Melia is 3.5 miles north from the PDC/Coz ferry pier and I indicate how far some dive ops are from the pier.

Great info, thnx for your help!

Back
Top Bottom