Coron vs. Dumaguete vs. Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelem

Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to decide my next dive vacation in the coming mid-October.

I know Coron has wreck dive and dugongs. Malapascua has thresher sharks. Dumagueta has Apo Island.

Wreck dive isn't my cup of tea. I read you can only see thresher sharks for 10-15 seconds if you are luck to spot them and there are not much other reef fishes in Malapascua.

I like to picture beautiful reef fishes, corals and schools of fish.

I am just back from Bohol and saw schools of jack fish and baracuada. Does Dumaguete has beasically similar marine life as Bohol?

I only have 5-day vacation with only 3 full days to dive. Which place should I choose?

Thanks.

travelem:
I am trying to decide my next dive vacation in the coming mid-October.

I know Coron has wreck dive and dugongs. Malapascua has thresher sharks. Dumagueta has Apo Island.

Wreck dive isn't my cup of tea. I read you can only see thresher sharks for 10-15 seconds if you are luck to spot them and there are not much other reef fishes in Malapascua.

I like to picture beautiful reef fishes, corals and schools of fish.

I am just back from Bohol and saw schools of jack fish and baracuada. Does Dumaguete has beasically similar marine life as Bohol?

I only have 5-day vacation with only 3 full days to dive. Which place should I choose?

Thanks.

I would do the philippines my friend!!!!!!!!!

I went to PG in march, WOW wreck dives , shark dives and just about everything you can ever want to see in one trip, dumagueta you will find all of the same!!!!!!!!!! Apo island is I am told much like Verdi wall in PG, To dive/die for!!!

coron
if you are not a wreck bum don't go to coron just for 3 days of diving. vis is not great.

malapascua is clearly much more than treshers. and yes, if you see ONE tresher for 10 to 15 seconds then you are lucky. they circle. chances to see them is approx. 75%. besides that you might have manta(s) and pigmys for sure.

this is always the early morning dive.

lots of interesting dive sites during the day. i have seen harlekin shrimps!!! also night dive with manderin fishs and sea horses are a sure bet.

good athmosphere on the island

dumaguete
it's actually dauin, approx. 20 min. drive from dumaguete. house reef in front of atlantis and el dorado are very good (critters) pier (world class dive site)
apo island. corals in excellent shape. but not to much fish. none of my favourite dives.
to enjoy apo you need lots of sunshine (its easy from dauin, boat ride takes about 30 min.

in general philippines are not known for big fish.

recommendation:
due to the short time available i would choos dumaguete/dauin. transfer from cebu to maya by car takes more than 2 hours plus banka transfer to malapascua. coron is also complicated

Peurto Galera-Verde island is awesome. The variety of marine life is some of the best anywhere, I counted around 60 species when I was there last may.

rexman24:
Peurto Galera-Verde island is awesome. The variety of marine life is some of the best anywhere, I counted around 60 species when I was there last may.

Which resort and dive shop did you use in PG?

Do they have day trip to Verde Island everyday?

Is Verde Island the washing machine dive site?

I am trying to decide Apo Island or Verde Island.

Thanks.

The PPD have one way or the other used the following -

Resort/ Dive Outfit:
Atlantis Hotel/ Atlantis divers (pm Matt Reed here in SB, he's the manager)
El Galleon/Asia Divers
Out of the Blue Private Villas/ Action Divers

and yes there's a Washing Machine dive site in Verde Island. Also the area around Verde Island was cited as the center of the center of coral biodiversity:D Don't forget to dive Agapito site in Verde.

Been to verde and I can safely say Apo Island has better coral reefs. And if you get tired of seeing too much colors in Apo, you can go critter-hunting in Dauin/Dumaguete.

The Verde Island area may be the center of the center in marine biodiversity but the lack of protection (from fishing) in the dive sites prevents it from reaching its full potential. The dive sites in Dauin/Dumaguete and Apo Island are all protected and the benefits are quite evident.

I would recommend Malapascua. Thresher sharks apart, there is still the mandarinfish dive, Gato island (3-4 white tip sharks, marble ray, seahorse... on each of my 2 dives there apart from nice coral). And some good walls...
Dauin has muck diving, but that is only good in really small groups. Apo is gorgeous, turtles, school of jacks. The pier and Sumilon would be great, too.
Enjoy!

clgsamson:
The PPD have one way or the other used the following -

Resort/ Dive Outfit:
Atlantis Hotel/ Atlantis divers (pm Matt Reed here in SB, he's the manager)
El Galleon/Asia Divers
Out of the Blue Private Villas/ Action Divers

and yes there's a Washing Machine dive site in Verde Island. Also the area around Verde Island was cited as the center of the center of coral biodiversity:D Don't forget to dive Agapito site in Verde.

I will second what Clgsamson!!!!

I stayed and dove with Atlantis, Matt reed will see to all of your needs!

They took me to see/Photograph Everything I asked for , wrecks,sharks, turtles ,snakes and all kinds of fish.

In front of the resort is a five minute jump to 3 wrecks, the sabang wrecks and they are loded with fish, Eels and everything you can enjoy and make a excellent night dive!!

You cant go wrong with PG Atlantis!!

PG-Sabang beach=I stay Big Apple, but I am a budget traveller, unlimited budget yes I would likely stay Atlantis.

I dive with Frontier scuba-Rick is the English owner and between him and the Divemaster they have 20,000 dives. Small groups-6, good equiptment, they do TEC and rec diving and training and are very friendly and helpful.

There is a small extra charge to do the Verde island trip and they do not go everyday, however if you were willing to pay the extra for the boat they would.

Yes washing machine is at Verde island.

If the verde channel was fished out as one poster said, I dont think I would have seen 60 species in a weeks diving there!

Back
Top Bottom