Coron/Moalboal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bashaw77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm wanting to do a month long vacation in the Philippines. I want to Dive Coron and Moalboal 2 weeks each, is there enough good diving in those 2 areas to Dive 2 tanks 10 days out of 14 in each area?

Coron (Busuanga) maybe (depending on how much you like wrecks) but I personally would not give Moalboal more then a few days. You could consider bouncing around a bit in the general vicinity of Moalboal. ie: Malapascua, Dumaguete, Bohol. Those are easy to get to by ferries and ground transportation.

Coron (Busuanga) maybe (depending on how much you like wrecks) but I personally would not give Moalboal more then a few days. You could consider bouncing around a bit in the general vicinity of Moalboal. ie: Malapascua, Dumaguete, Bohol. Those are easy to get to by ferries and ground transportation.
The 3 places you mentioned could a person use Coron as a Base?

I do like wrecks and history so Coron is definitely for me. Is there another destination to stay for 2nd 1/2 of vacation where I could dive quite a bit without seeing sites over and over?

That would be very difficult. Coron is a town, on an island (Busuanga) on the north side of Palawan and it would require flights back and forth. It "could" be done, but would not make sense. Truthfully, IMHO two weeks in Coron would be a long time. If you like wrecks and history, you could spend some time in Coron, then fly into CRK (Clark), take a bus to Olongapo and dive Subic Bay. Then fly from CRK to Cebu and dive Moalboal (and - Malapascua, Bohol, Dumaguete).

I meant to say Moalboal as a base for Malapascua, Dumaguete, and Bohol

Eaglerays plan is good. I think that 4-5 days in coron is enough to dive all the wrecks and do some twice. Moalboal is worth a 2-3 days at best (sardine ball check) but otherwise the diving is meh.

If doing less moving around, I would suggest 6 days in puerto gallerta (Take a car from Manilla to the ferry and across) This is traditional fishy diving. Pop back and do the muck in Anilao for a couple of days. Then back to Manilla to fly over to coron for 5 or so days before flying back to manila and back home.

Another alternative is to head straight to coron from manilla (where your plane will land) and do the wrecks in coron for 5 days. Then jump on the live aboard that leaves from coron down to palawan (It is very reasonable!) This will get you your fishy diving. Take the live aboard back to coron and fly back out.

Reach out to Pirate Divers Coron | PADI 5 Star Dive Center in Busuanga to get info on the liveaboard.

I also REALLY enjoyed this German run "dive safaris" through the south. Dive Safari Philippines - Savedra Dive Center I think you could fit Coron and a dive safari into a trip.

4-5 days is never enough to dive all the major wrecks in Coron. Some of the wrecks are pretty deep eg. Akitsushima and Irako. The best one, Kyokuzan Maru, is lying off the NE shore and miles away. Do not miss this one.

Two weeks is probably just about right.

USS New York in Subic Bay.
There are some interesting deep planes wreck as well.

I think it’s a great idea to minimise traveling around in Philippines.
Have never been to Coron, but I’ve looked at it (husband loves history/wrecks, so we’ll go sometime) and I think with “only” 2 dives a day and and interest 2 weeks should be fine.

As for the second part: no, using Moalboal to do day trips to Malapascua, Dumagette (Dauin) and Bohol is not practical/possible.

We recently stayed 9 nights in Dauin and liked it, would love to spend 2 weeks there, but we love muck diving - you’ll have to decide if that’s for you (there’s reef diving as well). We did 3 dives a day and did not see much else of the area - not even the “town”.
On the same trip we did 4 nights in Moalboal, diving was ok - sardines were mesmerising, as others say: 2 weeks would be too much. 4 nights was enough for the diving, but would have been nice to also do some of the top side excursions.

Pre pandemic we went to Malapascua- could have easily spent 2 weeks there, others says that’s way too much and there’s not much to do topside. But we saw sooo much under water I can’t believe it and the thresher dives we did were incredible (no circus as our dive guide made sure we avoided that).
On that trip we also did Bohol - we did not find the diving as good as Malapascua, but lots of interesting topside excursions.

If I had a month I would look at 3 dive destinations: Coron (10-11 days maybe), Moalboal (5-6 days) and Malapascua, Dauin or Bohol for the rest of the time.

I think it’s a great idea to minimise traveling around in Philippines.
Have never been to Coron, but I’ve looked at it (husband loves history/wrecks, so we’ll go sometime) and I think with “only” 2 dives a day and and interest 2 weeks should be fine.

As for the second part: no, using Moalboal to do day trips to Malapascua, Dumagette (Dauin) and Bohol is not practical/possible.

We recently stayed 9 nights in Dauin and liked it, would love to spend 2 weeks there, but we love muck diving - you’ll have to decide if that’s for you (there’s reef diving as well). We did 3 dives a day and did not see much else of the area - not even the “town”.
On the same trip we did 4 nights in Moalboal, diving was ok - sardines were mesmerising, as others say: 2 weeks would be too much. 4 nights was enough for the diving, but would have been nice to also do some of the top side excursions.

Pre pandemic we went to Malapascua- could have easily spent 2 weeks there, others says that’s way too much and there’s not much to do topside. But we saw sooo much under water I can’t believe it and the thresher dives we did were incredible (no circus as our dive guide made sure we avoided that).
On that trip we also did Bohol - we did not find the diving as good as Malapascua, but lots of interesting topside excursions.

If I had a month I would look at 3 dive destinations: Coron (10-11 days maybe), Moalboal (5-6 days) and Malapascua, Dauin or Bohol for the rest of the time.
What type of dives should I expect at Malapascua?

Back
Top Bottom