CORDLESS light with long burn time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a cordless light that performs close to or just as good a corded one, especially when it comes to run/burn time?

Www.tillytec.de has long burn times, and there is an update planned if this 46800 cell will become available. That will give even more burn time (currently 3x 21700 possible ~15Ah, increasing to 1x46800 with ~25Ah or whatever cells will be available).
Burn time depends on chosen LED module as well if it is dimmed or not (see the page for details)
Not sure if its feasible from the US, but I really like these lamps.

It is not the burn time with big akku tanks, but its pretty long. And it is a very good lamp

That will give even more burn time (currently 3x 21700 possible ~15Ah, increasing to 1x46800 with ~25Ah or whatever cells will be available).

^^Flight regulations do not allow power banks or batteries above 20kMah. How do you plan to carry this onboard?

^^Flight regulations do not allow power banks or batteries above 20kMah. How do you plan to carry this onboard?
It was not part of the question, if you can take this on a flight.

You will have this issue with tanks as well... You can in principle then use 3x 21700 instead, of course.

However the rule is different, see

Below 100 Wh, we have 3.7V with 25Ah so below, itnis allowed with less than 2g Lithium Content.
For 2g to 8g and up to 160Wh it is to the discretion of the airline.
The lithium content is the real problem here
It is 0.3 x Ah, so to stay below 2g max would be around 6.5Ah. We are just below 8g so it would be to the airlines discretion, so you need to stick with 3x 21700 to be on the safe side (can be interchanged), but not sure if a battery pack would not have the same issues...

But again: That was not part of the question, and as this cell is the"Tesla cell" there might be some updstes to flight rules.

I was wondering if there is a cordless light that performs close to or just as good a corded one, especially when it comes to run/burn time?
No. Battery technology goes across the board. As power density gets better (more power in a smaller package), a corded battery gets more powerful. More output for a longer burn time. A corded light will have a bigger battery of the same technology.

The only way you could win the argument of a non-corded light having better burn/power in a smaller package is if you took a 20 year old corded light design and used that as the baseline. In that case, plenty of modern Lithium powered LED lights will outshine Ni-cad powered Halogen lights.

But the other question is if a non-corded light can have the performance you need over a corded light? Probably yes. You really need to define what you want the light to do. How much power, low long of a burn time?

If you look enough I am sure there is some overlap where some higher end non-corded lights could out perform some lower end corded lights. But in general, the remote battery is because there is so much battery that it isn't practical to have that much all in one.

Just realized I was thinking goodman mounted lights. If you actually want to hold that full battery and light, I think UWLD can build you that monster. Just looked, video lights. I was wrong. But add the question of how do you want to handle the light in the water?

Budget and needed burn time?

Just remember there are no real shortcuts here. Essentially runtime is a matter of battery mass and lighthead current draw. There's no reason you can't have the same mass of battery attached directly to the lighthead as you would wear on a corded canister. If you eliminate the cord and attach the batteries directly, you have a cordless light with the equivalent runtime as a can light, exactly as you requested, and there are some options above.

However, that is a lot of battery mass to be holding/wearing on your hand. If you want lightweight AND cordless AND portable, you'll need less battery mass, which means either giving up brightness or runtime, no free lunch to be had with current battery technology.

A potential option for non-corded primary with longer burn time is using more than one primary light with a quick release. The Dive Rite Goodman handle + QRM system with 2 x LX-20+ handheld lights is an example of this. Keep the second unit clipped in a thigh pocket and switch using QRM during the dive. Roughly the same cost as a corded light, depending on the system.

Just a thought...

Lance

Oh wow and that's why I ask questions here. OK, I didn't realize additional info was needed.
I'm a technical diver and I'm taking additional tech classes such as TDI's ANDP to name a few. During my GUE Fundies class the divers going for a tech rating had the corded lights as they provided long burn rates. I rather not mess around with an additional cord and was thinking about being cordless. From reading the comments I did not take flying into consideration. So yes it would have to be something I could take on the airline as well. All that being said, do I have no choice but to get a corded light? Oh I do plan on doing limited penetration wreck diving but NO cave diving. I also cavern dive and currently use a Kraken 1500 but I'm looking to upgrade. Thanks y'all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom