Coral to stay away from? Fire Coral etc..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FC comes in many shapes, sizes and colors. A simple yahoo or google of fire coral pictures, then click on more fire coral images next to the 4 thumbs (yahoo). I went 5 pages through different kinds of FC before finding shots of the orange/brown/red I remembered from the Florida Keys.

There have been a few TV news stories here about the Hawaii University Coral Research, and every video clip shows bare handed workers/researchers with some local hard corals. That does not mean all local hard corals react the same. Luckily/unfortunately there are usually plenty of dead spots, perhaps more poluted runoff damage than diver contact, so an occassional finger can easily do no damage to coral.

Saw some Discovery Channel footage of white tip reef sharks hunting at night, talk about your coral damage! Schooling parrotfish(!?); a couple of my favorite elkhorn corals have every end chomped by 2 or more inches. Coral is tough, it survives a lot, but we should not add to the stress. Do the right thing for the right reason.

Matt S.:
Cleaner shrimp are pretty safe to interact with though. :)

These shrimp are hoping humans will open their mouths, just like every other predator who visits them;

Teeth Cleaning!

P10100411.jpg

Notice dead coral contact above.

Molars?

P1010037.jpg

Tonsils??!!

P10100381.jpg

Note to self; pay more attention to BCD/Inflator when shrimp goes deep throat!

very cool pics

i had some cleaning gobies (?) clean my hand for a while in Roatan

neat experience

When I worked in the exotic fish store I would stick my hand in the tank full of cleaner shrimp. They're really good about getting into your fingernails and cuiticles! Little gobies will pick at you too. They were fascinated by the air bubbles trapped on my arm hair.

here's a couple from Key Largo, note all the little hairlike structures waiting to sting you :wink:

while, yes corals can be handled safely in an aquarium (i have one too :14: ), it is still best for divers to not touch any.

Attachments

• fc.jpg
    fc.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 34
  • fc2.jpg
    fc2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 32
So... I guess the thing is, whether or not your hand has the life threatening properties of the mutant "Rogue", "Don't fondle anything that hasn't explicitly given it's concent to be fondled. Silence or non-responsiveness to the question does not constitute passive permission." :crafty:

Keeps stuff properly PC and less likely to annoy the natives...

To answer the question rather than repeatedly state "not to touch it", fire coral can vary it's morphology mostly in response to water movement. It can look very different depending on depth or wave action. Where the water is still and sheltered, it branches, sometimes almost forming a net-like framework. Where there is some water movement, it can form a blade-like structure. Finally where there is lots of water movement, for example at the edge of reefs where wave action is pronounced, it is more of a plate (well... more-or-less of a lump).

Firecoral Key (for example) off Key Largo has the blade variety at depths to concern divers. It's shallow and there is always some water movement so you get mostly blade. In areas too shallow to dive you get plate but it isn't deep or sheltered enough anywhere to get much branched.

SB won't let me post URLs since I'm new to the site so I had to delete my links and substutitute search parameters. Copy/paste and they ought to work almost as well (I hope).

This site has photos of branching and blade (and box). The "box" variety isn't around in the Keys (that I've seen). I'll have to keep an eye out.
Search:
species-identification.org Blade fire coral Millepora complanata

The morphology discussion comes from:
Search:
thecephalopodpage.org MarineInvertebrateZoology Milleporaalcicornis Fire Coral, Millepora alcicornis

Don't pet the bristle worms

Ha Ha, that what happens when you just browse through, read new posts.

Personally, I like to run my hands all over every type of coral, invertebrates and vertebrates so I know for sure which ones hurt the most when they bite/sting/whatever.

You can't trust books, personal experience is best. So what if I destroy the reef in the process of my experiments... that's what nature is for, something for humans to destroy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom