Coral Scrapes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esvee

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

Wasn't sure where to ask this, so put it here. Did my first few dives this week and got cut on some coral on the rope to the sea floor. That was just over two days ago and now my thumb looks a little reddish with some pimples on it. Don't think there was a real cut, so didn't pay attention at first. It doesn't hurt much, only when touched, but still I'm not sure if it's ok just to ignore it. I did put some providence iodine on it today, even though that may be a bit late.

Do these usually heal up themselves or should I go see a doctor?

thanks!

My girlfriend messed up both of her hands pretty badly on a rope leading down to a wreck a few months ago in Cancun......both of her hands were basically useless a few days later..luckily we were home by then and she went to the doctor to get an antibiotic shot that helped tremendously ...so I would say if its bothering you , a trip to see your doctor may not be a bad idea

You probably just got into some fire coral. I get it on my fingertips on the ropes in Cancun. Mine goes away on its own, it just takes a while.

put some hydrocortisone cream on it and call the doctor if it spreads or seems like it is infected.

Vinegar is good too - make sure to see a doctor if it gets infected. Keep it clean and put some antibiotic ointment on it. It will take awile before it doesn't bother you if it is just a runof the mill fire coral sting.

You could have a few things that are causing the rash. Coral scrapes tend to be linear along the line of contact. Some corals like fire corals can have a nematocyst stinger which injects a toxin causing the redness and the burning. Vinegar is good since it prevents any untriggered nematocyst from firing. Small pimple-like eruptions might be sea lice or similar stings. There are a few underwater grasses that can also cause some irritation, like the ocean's version of stingning nettles.

Either way, over the counter hydrocortisone cream as dumpsterDiver recommended. Follow package instructions. Warning signs to see a doctor are increasing redness and/or pain.

Back
Top Bottom