Copperhead Bite Me !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of you guys are something else to say you are a liar , you don't live there , you are a B.S. er . no copperheads in Florida Mid Peninsula and being no mistake with a big blow up picture and a squirming headless
snake inches from a large screen.

Eastwest, the OP, lists his location as Rumdumb, Hippy California. Where did all of this Florida talk come from?
🐸
See post #4. The OP was in Florida.

Some of you guys are something else to say you are a liar , you don't live there , you are a B.S. er . no copperheads in Florida Mid Peninsula and being no mistake with a big blow up picture and a squirming headless
Nobody said you were a liar. But it does appear likely you misidentified the snake--something that is often done. If you have a picture, please post it.

I am not sure of the purpose of this one word post/link. Since the title of the article to which it is linked is "Florida's Snakes," I am guessing its purpose is to rebut the notion that the OP did not encounter a copperhead in the experience at Port St. Lucie. If that is, indeed, the purpose of the link, I would like to point out that if you go to the bottom of that article, you find this sentence:
Found only in northern Florida in the Apalachicola River Basin in shady hardwood forests with abundant leaf litter and fallen branches and logs. (A map of the habitat, which barely dips into the Florida panhandle, follows.)​
That means that the closest habitat of the Florida copperhead is about 450 miles from Port St. Lucie.

If the post had a different purpose, I apologize for misunderstanding.

I am not sure of the purpose of this one word post/link. Since the title of the article to which it is linked is "Florida's Snakes," I am guessing its purpose is to rebut the notion that the OP did not encounter a copperhead in the experience at Port St. Lucie. If that is, indeed, the purpose of the link, I would like to point out that if you go to the bottom of that article, you find this sentence:
Found only in northern Florida in the Apalachicola River Basin in shady hardwood forests with abundant leaf litter and fallen branches and logs. (A map of the habitat, which barely dips into the Florida panhandle, follows.)​
That means that the closest habitat of the Florida copperhead is about 450 miles from Port St. Lucie.

If the post had a different purpose, I apologize for misunderstanding.
Ryan's previous posts pointed out they don't occur in the Florida peninsula, so I'm sure it was just an informational link--not suggesting it was a copperhead.

My meandering mind went far afield on this thread. I found a Wikipedia site that detailed the fatal snake bites in the U.S. in the last half century. There aren't that many, less than a half dozen a year. Copperheads provide the most bites, but rattlesnakes are far more deadly, providing by far the most fatalities. But those statistics are deceptive. If you read the narratives for the fatalities, you learn that a very high percentage of fatal rattlesnake bites occur during religious ceremonies in which the true believers show that God protects them by playing with rattlesnakes. They only do this with rattlesnakes, so that accounts for the high percentage of rattlesnake bite fatalities. Perhaps if these religions tried to prove the power of their faith through copperhead handling, the numbers might even out.
This is a follow-up of the previous post.

From 1971-2000, 25 people died of snake bites from all sorts of snakes in the U.S., including cobras and the like kept as pets. Of those 25, 16 (64%) occurred during rattlesnake handling in church services.

Since then, there have been 30 reported deaths, but only 4 (14%) occurred during church services. I suspect the larger number of deaths outside of church services may reflect more accurate reporting. I don't know why the church service numbers have declined, but church membership has declined across the nation in the last decade.

Did the OP not take a pic of the snake after he killed it? How was it killed? Strangled it with his bare hands? People need to know 🤔

Aside from the OP's apparent inability to write an understandable post, this is a hilarious thread. "I was not bitten by a copperhead." "No you weren't; you were not bitten by a non-copperhead." 'Of course you weren't; there are no copperheads where you were not bitten by one."

I'm sorry, could you translate that please? no grok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom