Copperhead Bite Me !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you're OK. The best thing about New Zealand is that we have no snakes which is fortunate as both my wife and I have a serious phobia!
Well snakes are very cool! So I think that is New Zealand's loss.

Well snakes are very cool! So I think that is New Zealand's loss.

I actually think they are very cool too. Watch lots of stuff on YouTube and fascinated when we visit zoos in other countries (snakes are not even allowed in zoos in NZ), but the phobia is real!

Luckily our son didn't inherit our weaknesses.

Picture159.jpg

My father taught me how to identify the poisonous snakes in South Carolina (copperhead, rattlers, cottonmouth and coral snakes). If it wasn’t one of those, I would always try to grab it for a closer look. No desire to do that anymore.

My meandering mind went far afield on this thread. I found a Wikipedia site that detailed the fatal snake bites in the U.S. in the last half century. There aren't that many, less than a half dozen a year. Copperheads provide the most bites, but rattlesnakes are far more deadly, providing by far the most fatalities. But those statistics are deceptive. If you read the narratives for the fatalities, you learn that a very high percentage of fatal rattlesnake bites occur during religious ceremonies in which the true believers show that God protects them by playing with rattlesnakes. They only do this with rattlesnakes, so that accounts for the high percentage of rattlesnake bite fatalities. Perhaps if these religions tried to prove the power of their faith through copperhead handling, the numbers might even out.

For the record, and just like the OP....I also did not recently get bitten by a Copperhead. So I at least got that going for me!

Eastwest, the OP, lists his location as Rumdumb, Hippy California. Where did all of this Florida talk come from?
🐸

Doing some serious yard work on my hands and knees and this beautiful little snake almost bite me . Mad as can be striking out like crazy and so close to my arm and then had to kill him . Wish it was not so the yardwork was in need to go . Be good safe and kind Rumdumb

How little was the snake? On your hands and knees but able to kill it and not get bit, that is ninja fast!

The little dude was about 2 feet but did not notice her till I was standing up and her striking at my legs . It had to be a female being really pissed off waking her up .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom