Copper ore wreck, North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob Mayne

New
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
We are departing on the R/V Aqua Quest, Monday afternoon, Oct 30th, 2017 for the copper ore wreck off Southport, North Carolina. I need good, Nitrox certified, divers for a commercial salvage project. Pay is $200 per day, three 25 minute dives, 117' deep, 2 hour surface intervals, no decompression dives. Nitrox 31%. For general work days $100 per day. This is a beautiful dive, clear, warm water (78 degrees) Call Bob Mayne 727-743-6008
Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 12.40.13 PM.png

So you are going to pay random non-commercial divers $200 a day to do commercial work, and then charge them $100 for Nitrox?

I think he means $200 per day for diving work and $100 per day for working on deck. This is dangerous work for someone untrained and diving on scuba. Once OSHA gets involved this project is over. Hopefully that happens before anyone gets killed. DO NOT attempt this on scuba and without the proper training. I don't care how many C cards you have none of that training will help you on this type of job.

Hope they have insurance...

Hi Rich, I appreciate your input and respect your opinion, however we have commercial trained divers on board. We have worked this site for two years and it is a very easy dive. A lot safer than going down to spear fish.
We only take divers who are Nitrox certified and have a high level of experience in this depth. Several of the local divers here in North Carolina have worked with me on this wreck. Personally I was trained by a U.S. Navy Dive Instructor in 1967 and have been commercially diving for 50 years. I have owned and operated my vessel Aqua Quest for 30 years, and have never had one of my divers seriously injured. I take safety extremely serious and that is my number one priority on all projects. And you are correct about the pay schedule $200 per diving day and $100 for deck work or travel days.

Damn, wish I could take Monday off, I've always wanted to do this. I'd even bring my own fills.

If you ever go on a Saturday/Sunday, let me know....my rebreather needs some NC diving.

Yes... we are departing tomorrow afternoon, or Tuesday afternoon. We expect to be offshore for at least a week to 10 days. One of the local dive charter boats, may be going out this weekend for two days. Send me your phone # and I will let you know. Thanks. Bob

Guys,

These are recreational depths and recreational times. The closest you will get to “commercial diving” is exposure to some neat equipment. The blend nitrox onboard with a stick and had the gas tested when I last dove (I built the nitrox blending stick and replaced the mast filter for them). Finally, this is not some hokey outfit. They have been working this wreck for several years between other projects. Look up Aqua Quest and enjoy the story.

Still have opportunities?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom