Cooper River, South Carolina dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rawls

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Back in May me and some dive buddies went to the Cooper River in South Carolina to hunt for Meg teeth. Below is a photo of what I found. It also includes a piece of bone from some prehistoric land animal I have not been able to ID, but it is about, per the guide, 2 million years old. I also found a small piece of pottery dated to around the 1700's. Great fun!!!

DSCN0820.jpg

DSCN0823.jpg

DSCN0844.jpg

DSCN0841.jpg

FSCN0838.jpg

Looks nice, I dove launched from the same spot as well in Goose Creek, SC. Nice finds. I am going up there again in late August 23 rd and 24th if anyone wants to join me... Should be a couple of spots still open.

We usually dive the Cooper a time or two a month. I normally dive with underwater adventures out of Sumter. email me, I should be able to swing it. BB

Great finds! I always like finding the occasional artifact mixed in with the teeth. :0

imukdiver:
Great finds! I always like finding the occasional artifact mixed in with the teeth. :0

I agree...I think I was more excited to find the bone and pottery than the teeth. I still want to ID that bone at some point.

Not positive, but look at pics of whale earbones. I found a number of those in some of the deeper holes in the cooper river. I was told they were whale ear bones. If I'm incorrect, please let me know through your research.

I just dove with Johnny from Cooper River Dive Charters - CooperRiverDiving.Com . Great boat, great Captain (Johnny), vis seemed better than my previous dives there maybe cause I was used to it already.. He has some great dive spots always drops us down where the teeth are. There were a bunch of great people on the trip and I think they all did very well and had a great time. Noone went home empty handed. I saw alot of nice teeth, fossils, and other interesting Archeological pieces come up out if the water. (Including 3 nice really old hand made bricks that I swam up with). I will post some pictures tommorrow of all of my finds. Take care all and if you are thinking about diving the Cooper don't think about it..Just DO IT! It's an experience you will never forget and will long to go back...Till I post the pics. Take care.

8251reefer:
I just dove with Johnny from Cooper River Dive Charters - CooperRiverDiving.Com

That is who we dived with. He is a great guy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom