Cooper River Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dove the Cooper River last weekend with http://www.cooperriverdiving.com/. Capt name was Topper who had a pontoon boat with twin engines. We met at the dock at 7:30am for a 3 tank trip (cost $85). There was four other divers on the boat.
The first dive was at a spot called “South of the Campground”. I have never dove “blackwater” before and the Capt and everyone on the boat was helpful to fill me in on the details. I turned my light on and grabbed my screwdriver and jumped in and followed the anchor line down to the bottom at ~25ft. After about 15ft I was in total blackness and visibility was as far as the light would shine and there was a slight current.

After hitting the bottom I turned and went over a few ledges (about 2’ high) to get to the deeper water at ~38ft. I was a great experience diving in “blackwater” (but I must admit I was slightly uneasy). Basically you lay on the bottom and shine your light to look for fossils. I actually thought the light helped find fossils by focusing your attention to a certain area. The screwdriver was a necessity by the end of the dive when the current picked up. The only way you could move or stay in one place was by driving that screw-driver and pulling yourself behind it (ie. mountain climber).
After the first dive we waited for the current to subside and did two more dives at north and south of Billy’s Hole. These dives were similar to the first one.

In general – The Capt was excellent and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them. I enjoyed the “blackwater” dive and plan on going again when I get a change. IMHO - There appeared to be more larger teeth (meg, mako, macheral) in the river (compared to Venice) however they tend to be pretty broken up and in fragments. Attached is a photo of the days finds (quarters are shown for prespective).

CooperRiver.jpg

Thanks for the pics - sounds like a cool experience! Did you note the temp? If not, what did you wear and were you comfortable?

This is a dive I would like to try.

The water temps were ~70-75F based on if was an incoming or outgoing tide. I just wore a full 3mm and I was cold at the end of each dive. If I had a hood I probably would have been fine.

It was definately a cool experince.

That sounds like a pretty killer dive. I would like to do that as well. TRhanks for the info and the pics. Makes me want to go get wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom