Cooper River Fossil and Artifact Book!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bonehunter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, my name is Rick. I'm pretty new to this forum, I last posted about a year ago. We recently finished our new book on fossil and artifact diving in the Cooper River in South Carolina. I hope I have posted this in the right place, if not please let me know where to post, thanks!

you can click on the following link to view the book:

cooper river diving

Congratulations on your book. Just curious though why are there so many Meg teeth found in that area? Of course I realize that many obviously died there with the teeth being the hardest and most durable part of the creature holding up well against the ravages of time, but what is the significance of the area that attracted so many creatures. Any idea? Anyone?

The teeth are not just in the rivers, but underground throughout the area. The South Carolina shoreline was much farther inland in the past as the ocean covered much of the land. I have found 4" C.auriculatus teeth as far as 60 miles inland at quarries that allow collecting on weekends. The Cooper and other local rivers cut through the geologic layers that contain the teeth, so the divers can find them. To get to these layers above ground, you may have to dig pretty deep which is why visiting the quarries is a good idea if you don't dive, they have done the digging for you:DThe coastline with it's warm temperatures probably attracted the megs since theory says they liked the warmer water. I read in a book, I think, Renz's book "Megalodon, Hunting the Hunter" that the adult megs would bring their young pups to the shallow coastal waters to feed on dugongs etc. All I know is I like diving for the teeth much better than sweating my butt off in the blazing sun at some quarry all summer:shakehead::D

just ordered the book and am really looking forward to receiving it.

thanks!

That's something else. Consider how long those animals swam around, hundreds, thousands of years. UNREAL!!

Just curious, how long does it take for you to ship the book out when an order is placed??

<><

Awesome! i hope i get it tommorow!! thanks and see you on the river!

Just out of curiosity -- why would someone in North Carolina write a book about diving in the Cooper River in South Carolina? There are plenty of good river dives for fossils here in NC...:wink: AND since they aren't as well known they aren't as crowded. I am under the impression they take a bit more patience than the Cooper or offshore meg dives, though. I'll let you know in a week after I head out there.

My favorite dive shop had the Renz Megalodon: Hunting the Hunter book for $35-$40 awhile back and mentioned it to me. I glanced at it and figured I'd get it later...they also did tell it me it was out of print. Whoops, the only place I can find it now is on Amazon for $100. :shocked2:

On that note, your book looks interesting. I see you have listed a few dive shops that carry it. I'm certainly not speaking for them, but I bet NADCO in Greensboro, NC would be willing to carry it. They are the people who had the Renz book, and they seem to enjoy fossil diving.

Back
Top Bottom