COOLPIX Shooters in the House

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great info. You guys just saved me 2 or more dives worth of photos I would have missed getting everything squared away.

I think this has been answered, but what strobes are available for the CP-4? What are the approx. cost of these? Right now I am trying to figure out how many dives a strobe will cost.

jumsted65:
I'll have to go to Ebay and see what you paid. I'm ready to sell my CP4 pro, and probably keep the 4300 for when I don't want to lug the D70 around on dry land.

I paid $100 and it was (apparently) used only once. It was a "buy it now" price, if you dig. It had 6 days to go on the auction and I felt it was a good deal from a 100% feedback seller, so I pulled the trigger. Maybe I paid too much, but I guess I saved myself the cost of a two-tank dive buy going used.

Good luck!

harpua:
what strobes are available for the CP-4? What are the approx. cost of these? Right now I am trying to figure out how many dives a strobe will cost.

I don't own one yet but I've done some looking around...
As I understand it, any digital slave flash will work if you sync it up with a fiber optic cable. All depends how much you want to spend. Sky's the limit, and you pretty much get what you pay for in terms of control, illumination power, time to cycle, etc.
Fantasea are marketing the Sunpak Remote Lite ll in a housing; they call the combo the "Cool Flash RL" for $120, with a connector mount but no tray, no arm, and no fiber optic cable included in that price. So add those in for total cost. They also have the Epoque ES 150 for $250 but again everything else is extra. Both are at this link.

What seems like a good deal is the SeaLife SL960D which for $300 at opticsplanet.com is ready to go out of the box with everything included. At least that's how I read it.

If you get a strobe, post about it here because I'm interested to hear about people's actual experiences.

Rick

The Sealife strobe does come with everything but IMHO it's not worth it. It appears cheaply made and mine failed after one dive trip. The batteries are a pain to load and the tray is plastic and broke where the strobe attaches. The epoque ES 150 Alpha is much nicer and a good option if you don't want to spend too much on your strobe. You will have to add a tray, arm, and cable though. You can get them all at Fantasea.com

well here we go this is my first post to scuba board,, Im a long time diver since 89, and just recently got into underwater photography, the bug has really bitten me. I started out with a sea life point and shoot camera and housing. pictures were so so.. and i also learned that had a lot to do with me just not knowing. I have been working on my skills and techniques and since have gone to digital. I have the :
Nikon Coolpix 5400 with the Sea& Sea DX5400 and a Ys90auto strobe. with the sea arm light tray and strobe arm. I love the set up. The DX5400 allows me to have complete control over my camera under water as well as on the surface. I have taken pics in a few places the carolinas , a fresh water quarry in VA(lake Rawlings) and in october this year got to go to Roatan Honduras. I love the camera i will trade the bulk for functionality all day long and twice on sundays. I have a 1gb card and i like others on here shoot til the battery dies. Then i miss the good pic ha ha ~ when i figure out how to post pics i will put some of my pics up. i am looking forward to reading more from everyone, tips and hints more than welcome. ok ok i will quit typing now my one finger is tired.

Nikon Coolpix 5400, Sea & Sea housing, Nikonos SB-105 stobe, arm, tray, etc.

Attachments

• DSCN0247.jpg
    DSCN0247.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 58
Coolpix P5000
Ike Housing
DS-125 Strobe w/ TTL

Just a sample shot taken in Bonaire last year. I hope this year sees MUCH better shots.
BonaireGoldenMoray2.jpg

Somebody has revived the thread! ;-)
CaT's Dive Sites Photos taken with Coolpix E5100 & Nikon housing. With internal flash. Has been using since late 2004, really small & compact... Good setup for me - new diver & u/w recreational photographer.

Last edited:
OK, samples from a recent trip to Maui. All shot at 2MB setting. No shutter lag issues, or any other problems.

Attachments

• DSCN0198.jpg
    DSCN0198.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0219.jpg
    DSCN0219.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN0241.jpg
    DSCN0241.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0194.jpg
    DSCN0194.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0253.jpg
    DSCN0253.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN0228.jpg
    DSCN0228.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 56
sell the cp4 housing before their crappy strobe floods and costs you another 3 hundy,
keep the 4300 to use for land,
thats what my experiance has taught me,really im not trying to be a jerk, ive gone through a few of the middle priced setups and found the best was the
Ikelite Aquashot 2 , a 35 mm film camera body from fuji inside a small housing with strobe, it uses advantex film . you can get them on ebay, i just bought a complete setup for 25$ plus shipping
that is, unless youve got a few grand to spend? plus more for lenses housing strobes case, etc......................................
then the nikon d2x would be my choice!!
heres a couple pics with the aquashot in cabo:
4082000-R2-035-16.jpg
4082000-R2-043-20.jpg
corybaby
bonaire bound in november...2nd trip

Attachments

• 4082000-R2-035-16.jpg
    4082000-R2-035-16.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 4082000-R2-043-20.jpg
    4082000-R2-043-20.jpg