Cool or nah?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Scuba Star downstream that I bought new in 1974. It is far and away the worst reg I have ever used. It's so bad I won't even use it in a pool

@SeaRat,

I think you meant to say the ScubaPro Mark VII first stage [The Honker].
Yup, I’ve made the correction. Small memory problem with Roman numerials. :wink:

John

I have a Scuba Star downstream that I bought new in 1974. It is far and away the worst reg I have ever used. It's so bad I won't even use it in a pool
Skip Y,

I think you need to replace the diaphragm. I was just out in the garage with my 1970s downstream Scubair, and it breaths quite nicely. The nylon/neoprene diaphragms that were initially used get hard, and replacing it with a silicone diaphragm helps tremendously. The exhalation mushroom will still be small, but replacing that mushroom with a silicone one will also help. if you have a double mushroom exhaust, taking one exhaust valve out will also help.

SeaRat

Where'd you get that flesh coloured body suit John C Rat.
My wife gave me notice not to wear that swimsuit again, so I’m in a bit more baggy swim suit now. :wink:. But the rest of it is…just…me.

SeaRat

Skip Y,

I think you need to replace the diaphragm. I was just out in the garage with my 1970s downstream Scubair, and it breaths quite nicely. The nylon/neoprene diaphragms that were initially used get hard, and replacing it with a silicone diaphragm helps tremendously. The exhalation mushroom will still be small, but replacing that mushroom with a silicone one will also help. if you have a double mushroom exhaust, taking one exhaust valve out will also help.

SeaRat
John will these changes stop the second stage vibration? Since new the second stage on this reg has a serious vibration when inhaling. It's so bad it'll loosen the fillings in your teeth, well maybe not that bad but bad enough to make diving with it uncomfortable and unpleasant.

John will these changes stop the second stage vibration? Since new the second stage on this reg has a serious vibration when inhaling. It's so bad it'll loosen the fillings in your teeth, well maybe not that bad but bad enough to make diving with it uncomfortable and unpleasant.
Skip,

I don’t really know, but it couldn’t hurt to try. Mine don’t have that problem.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom