Cool or nah?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes they are different, but upgrading to a modern LP hose is not only possible, but simple using an adapter and a bushing.
I covered this in the post I linked earlier.
Well, it may be possible, but why do a replacement of the LP hose. I have a number of these regulators, and the hoses are not a real problem. They are really robust hoses. I have never changed any of their hoses out.

Here is a short video of me using the Healthways Scubair regulator. It has a new first stage diaphragm (yes, the first Healthways Scubair was a diaphragm first stage). It has a new LP diaphragm too, and replaced exhaust mushroom. It worked well at this depth.

SeaRat

Still have my first regulator, a 1963 Healthways Scubair-J, that I purchased in 1977. Breathes like a pig today, just like it did in 1977, and probably in 1963.

Your pain is felt, and acknowledged as a trait of the Healthways Scubair and ScubaStar regulators.

As near as I can determine, tilt valve demand regulators were first used in unpressurized aircraft in World War II. I have seen some indications that they predated the Cousteau-Gagnan but can't be sure. They are still used on Scott Aviation's BIBS (Built-in Breathing System) masks in decompression chambers.

Tilt valves are inexpensive to manufacture but a seriously inferior design.

Isn't that what is in Poseidon seconds?

Only as a little pilot valve.

That is why the XStreme and the Jet Stream (the shower head) require a pressure relive valve.

Not on the Cyklon.

Still have my first regulator, a 1963 Healthways Scubair-J, that I purchased in 1977. Breathes like a pig today, just like it did in 1977, and probably in 1963.

Your pain is felt, and acknowledged as a trait of the Healthways Scubair and ScubaStar regulators.
Well, that’s not exactly right, as in the late 1960s or early 1970s Dick Anderson did a lot of trials between the USD Calypso (original) and his Scubair design, then changed it to a downstream design. They fooled around with different holes, and got one oriented toward the mouthpiece that came close to the Calypso performance at 200 feet of sea water. These later Healthways designs breathed pretty well, especially if you replaced the older nylon/neoprene LP diaphragm with a newer silicone one.

SeaRat

The 1966 Healthways catalog is the last time they show a regulator with a tilt valve, and then only Scuba Star all the Scubair had switched to downstream demand valve.

By 1967 the Healthways catalog talks about switching all their second stages to downstream demand valves. From that point on all their catalogs made it a big point that all their second stages are downstream.

When I started working at Divers Service Center in 1971 we were just about to drop the Healthways line, but we still had some inventory. They were all downstream demand valves. Tilt valves were considered obsolete for a while.

We would not even service old tilt valve second stages. There was a fairly big push to get them out of service.

I played with one, just out of curiosity (and we might have had some leftover parts), but the dive shop owner didn't think much of them.

By late 1971 or early 1972 we became a Scubapro dealer. From then on (in Puerto Rico) Healthways was only available from department stores like K-Mart (Sears mostly sold US Divers).

Here are a couple of my Healthways collection regulators. Both are downstream second stages.

B6C8977A-4DFC-4EDA-8E98-F45CB33AFC2E by John Ratliff, on Flickr

162FC964-C122-40CA-9620-EF54FDB09612 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

These are Scubair 300 regulators, with a sonic reserve. That sonic concept went on as a winner for Scubapro some years later, with their Scubapro Mark VII first stage (totally different design, however).

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom