Convulsions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rabe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was thinking: have you ever witnessed or suffered of convulsion due to oxygen toxicity?

Me, no.

I have, however, witnessed someone having a debilitating epileptic seizure. It happened in the computer lab while I was going to university. He was sitting next to me when it started and I was the first person to do anything, which basically amounted doing nothing other than making sure he didn't hurt himself. Seeing that happen was eyebrow raising and jaw-dropping all at the same time.

I've heard that a severe CNS O2 hit can look like that and I think if this is true that the diver experiencing the seizure would be very fortunate to survive without drowning. Thankfully I've never had to deal with that.

R..

I was thinking: have you ever witnessed or suffered of convulsion due to oxygen toxicity?
A good friend of mine died from it.

I saw someone go into what looked like an epileptic seizure while walking through Trafalgar Square. Immediately, many people came over to help him. I didn't stay to see the conclusion of the incident, as it felt like I would be a looky-loo.

US Navy Video, What it looks like: Oxygen Seizure in a Recompression Chamber:
GUE/UTD method for rescue of a toxing or unconscious diver:
Can be difficult to perform & control, and controversial depending on shallow vs deep depth -and may only be a slightly better option & questionable viable outcome versus sending the victim on an uncontrolled buoyant ascent to the surface (assuming an awaiting diveboat or surface support crew).

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin. The Navy video looks like an actual incident and reminds me to some extent of the epileptic seizure I witnessed. Imagine that happening under water!

The UTD video looks to me like a cartoon version of something that I'm going to guess neither diver has actually ever seen happen. In all fairness to UTD I get this same feeling when I see people during other courses doing "rescue" scenarios.

I know a lot of divers but I know exactly 2 who have ever been involved in a serious rescue (one of which was not successful) who give rescue courses. I also know several who have been involved in serious rescues (myself included) who do NOT give rescue courses for a variety of reasons.

I guess that's sort of the thing.... some people can be involved in a serious rescue and take confidence away from that and some can be involved in a serious rescue and see the vulnerability. In my case (for those who haven't heard the story) we (3 "pros") executed a text book rescue of a "drowned" diver on the bottom and saved his life. Of the three of us who were involved one of us quit diving completely, one was not seriously/outwardly affected and one (me) will never be able to re-integrate into the staff of the shop enough to teach a rescue course again. I won't even assist with the course after seeing how a "real" rescue actually goes.

Maybe that's the reason why I see the UTD video as being a caricature. I'm acutely aware of how messy and chaotic an actual accident looks and I would expect an agency like UTD to do a much better job of training divers for a rescue in that kind of context. As it is, the video you posted looks "sanitized" to the point of being useless as a training aid if you expect students to intervene in an actual emergency.

R..

A good friend of mine died from it.
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Thank y'all for all the answers. As soon as I have 2 minutes to spare, I'll watch the video.
I know what the rescue is like because I did the rescue course, but my questions was more related to a normal dive with my buddy, and all of the sudden he has convulsion (that's why I'm curious to know how they look like) or i have one (that's why I would like to hear the story from someone that has gone through that).
I'm asking this also because I'm doing my tec course and the manual tells you what to do, but real life ain't a book...

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Thank y'all for all the answers. As soon as I have 2 minutes to spare, I'll watch the video.
I know what the rescue is like because I did the rescue course, but my questions was more related to a normal dive with my buddy, and all of the sudden he has convulsion (that's why I'm curious to know how they look like) or i have one (that's why I would like to hear the story from someone that has gone through that).
I'm asking this also because I'm doing my tec course and the manual tells you what to do, but real life ain't a book...

Never lmind Kev already posted the USN video.

Never lmind Kev already posted the USN video.
Which is very interesting: I can see why drowning is related to that

I've seen it in the chamber and a few friends over the year. Never underwater.

Assures me a very well attached gag strap or full face mask would be ideal if we expect to survive an event underwater or have a buddy and an unobstructed airway for an emergency ascent.

Watching both videos consecutively certainly highlights how farcical and unrealistic our hobby dive training videos are.

Sobering topic,
Cameron

Back
Top Bottom