Convince me to get a bottom timer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in a tossup between the simplicity and price of a Uwatech bottom timer, and the added functions (and clearly cost) of a Nitek Duo. I understand that many technical divers, and notoriously DIR divers don't rely on computers for their dive planning, and I'm fine with working myself to that point.

One of the major sale points of the Nitek Duo to me is being able to plug it in to my computer and download dive profiles directly to look back at and review. On top of that, with my training where it's at, I would like to be able to plan a dive, and if my buddy decided he wasn't comfortable when we hit depth (which happens all too often, he's not as comfortable underwater as I am) it would be nice to have a full computer to maximize our bottom time.

I plan to take fundies next year sometime, and don't disagree at all with the logic behind not relying on a computer, but unfortunately I don't know how to plan multi-level dives or how to replan a dive on the fly underwater. I'm going to pick up some pockets for my wetsuit so I can start carrying tables underwater for that purpose.

I'm kind of hoping you folks can talk me into not getting the computer, so up front, I appreciate everyone's input, but expect me to play devil's advocate to a point :wink:

Buy a used computer that has a gauge mode, and get the best of both worlds at a reasonable cost.

If you are going to progress in your diving, you should consider having a computer and a bottom timer as backup. I used to cut hard tables instead of using a decompression computer, but that quickly left me in the water for ever on more complicated dives due to the 'no credit' you get from tables during multi-level diving. Now, I rely on a computer for real time information, and a set of hard contingency tables and bottom timer as a backup. I'm actually about to start diving with two decompression computers, as tables and a timer are still archaic when it comes to being accurate (conservative yes) on multi-level dives, which most are.

Attachments

• VR3Timer.JPG
    VR3Timer.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 73
I'm in a tossup between the simplicity and price of a Uwatech bottom timer, and the added functions (and clearly cost) of a Nitek Duo. I understand that many technical divers, and notoriously DIR divers don't rely on computers for their dive planning, and I'm fine with working myself to that point.

I was making the exact same decision as you earlier this year. Nitek Duo/Zeagle N2ition (same computer) or uwatec BT, in anticipation of taking fundies in the near future. I went with the BT and seriously, couldn't be happier. The BT gives me all the information I need during the dive, doesn't overwhelm with extraneous data, doesn't beep at you incessantly or lock you out (or go out of gauge mode when you don't want it to), and really makes you pay attention to planning your dive and contingencies, and sticking with the plan.

Also, the battery on the BT supposedly lasts 10+ years, so chances are you're not going to suddenly find yourself with a dead computer (which happened to a buddy this Saturday). And even if the BT does die, having a predetermined dive plan and profile makes the failure much easier to deal with than if you're just flying by the computer in realtime.

I do miss a logging function though, perhaps a Sensus Ultra is in the cards for the future.

My suggestion is to get a computer with a gauge mode. Not going to get into an argument over what builder but it doesn't matter that much. Gauge mode is gauge mode. I have and have had, both bottom timers and computers with gauge mode and the downside to the standard bottom timer hockey puck "thing a ma bob" is that it doesn't show seconds. I like having seconds........diving with friends with bottom timers without a resettable stop watch feature is painfull when they run deco.......:). Several builders make inexpensive computers with gauge mode. In the meantime, until you learn how to do do depth averaging and minimum deco, dive your computer and have fun.......if anything, your diving will likely get more conservative with GUE/DIR training and if you continue in that path, you will be happy with a stop watch feature that shows seconds and you likely won't use it in computer mode again. I am happy with a Suunto Vytec and Suunto D-3 in cold water and a Suunto D-6 and same Suunto D-3 in warm water. Neither the Vytec or the D-6 has been in computer mode in several years. The D-3 and vytec have replaceable batteries and this iteration of the D-6 has lasted over 2 years without a battery change and I dive a lot. I think the new D-4 has a gauge mode and a computer mode. I am not crazy about operating the smaller units like these watch size units with drygloves, hence the vytec. Nice and big numbers for crappy viz also. I think the Vyper also has a gauge mode and is cheaper than the vytec. Several friends dive the Tec 2G and like the resettable depth averaging feature. Just my 2 cents.........

If you are going to progress in your diving, you should consider having a computer and a bottom timer as backup. ... I'm actually about to start diving with two decompression computers, as tables and a timer are still archaic when it comes to being accurate
Why is this in the DIR forum?

Why is this in the DIR forum?

Excuse me? Someone asked about computers vs bottom timers. Please tell me you are not going to start some kind of debate here outside of advising the pros/cons of both computers, BTs/tables?

BTW, if you are going to quote me, please don't snip off the end of sentences where what is left behind will be taken out of context.

I posted this in DIR because I plan to take fundies next year, and if I like it to continue with GUE training, so I was asking the opinions of those who are farther along the same road I plan to take. If it's in the wrong place, by all means please move it.

Thanks to everyone who's given their opinions and experiences, I expected a much stronger "Get the BT and no computer!" response.

My preference in offshore diving is to plan the dive using computer generated tables (I most often use DPlan on my Palm) for the dive plan and next time/depth and lost deco gas contigencies and place them all on a wrist slate.

That approach leaves the bottom timer as the primary instrument for depth and time and the computer is then the back up for depth, time and deco but also gives me the fastest way to the surface if I abort early in the dive.

When cave diving, I most often reverse that approach if the dive is multilevel in nature, using the computer as the primary for time, depth and deco with the bottom timer and a set of waterproof tables for the back gas mix in use along as backup.

The DIR word on the subject would be to use tables and a bottom timer and avoid using the computer as a primary reference tool or as a crutch for knowing and understanding tables.

Using a used computer with a gauge mode offers some advantages in terms of cost and a user replaceable battery.

Get a something like the Suunto D3 or newer D4 which is a bottomtimer watch. It can be downloaded and has a few more features than the UWATEC BT. I use it to compliment my computer - both of which are tools for my diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom