Converting UK eLED C8 to video light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoomi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I do simple, basic video with a standard PnS camera in an UW housing (being a novice yet, I find this easier than capturing still pictures), and I've been considering adding a light to the rig.

Using a coupon, I can get an LED light for doing video at the Dive Shop for about $250, but being a working class stiff, that $250 is more often than not needed for more important things.

I also have an eLED C8 dive light that puts out a pretty decent amount of light, and I've got a couple of ideas on how I could put together a mounting system similar to the commercial camera light, and probably for only a few bucks.

Has anyone tried something similar, and if so, with what kind of results? I have no illusions that I'm suddenly going to have a rig that will give me professional looking videos on the cheap, but it would be nice if I managed to get a bit more light, and hence a bit more color, into the video.

Thanks for any insights - positive or negative - that you might be able to offer.

My thought would be that it would probably be good to have two lights and if the beam angle is very focused you might want to make a diffusion filter for each light.

You could just take the reflector out if you can do this and you would have a flood light (wouldn't then need a diffusion filter) but I don't know if the light would then throw far enough for your usage. It would depend on whether you are doing close up video or something further away.

I know that the Light Cannon comes with a diffusion filter that you can use if you want to do video work so I assume something like this would work for your light as well.

Just some thoughts. Someone will come along with more practical hints I'm sure :)

I could probably make a diffuser fairly easily as well, especially since it only needs to rest in front of the light, and doesn't have to become a watertight part of the housing.

We have a camping/dive trip to Mexico planned in less than a month, which is one of our budget dive options ($160 per person for unlimited weekend shore diving, plus the costs of getting ourselves there). What I hope to be able to do is put together a rig to hold the light (or lights, since I also have one of the TUSA TUL-300 lights (dang, but that sucker is bright for such a small light!), and do some field testing to see how the video turns out. If what I put together doesn't work out well, then I'll probably go ahead and invest in the commercial video light from the Dive Shop before our next big trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom