Convert to DIN or buy new?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only remotely possible thing I have heard of is machining the valve face down to allow 200 bar plugs, and machining in a dimple on the back side of the valve face... :fear:

since 7/8 UNF is physically smaller, it is theoretically possible to machine a 3/4 NPS neck 200 bar valve down to 7/8 UNF if you have the tools. rechroming would be an issue though.

Someone may have just learned what PST tanks are... I did the same thing a few years back... Hope inserts fix the 'issue'...

not going to fit as it sounds like OP has 7/8 neck 3500 psi tanks

That would be too bad, inexperience.

Bingo! The price of ignorance.

Still not sad about the price on the tanks. Just need to invest a little more to get moving.

i haven't seen any 300 bar din donuts available and the 300 bar din valves almost never have a yoke dimple either

If they're 3442psi HP tanks then inserts or new valves will fix the 'issue'... If they're 3500psi tanks, then you're correct, the only solution is go DIN or sell the tanks and get 3442psi HP tanks...

It's my understanding PST tanks are very high quality, with their true galvanized coating... another thing to check in to is the hydro shop when they need a hydro in the future, if I remember correctly pst tanks have a different process to bring them up to pressure for the test. If the shop messes that up they'll condemn the tanks, even though they may have been safe to use...

Google some things, and read some old posts about all this stuff...

PS... If you want to buy two 100cu/ft PST tanks let me know... might as well build your collection now that you've started!!

For the OP. Get the Atomic DIN fitting and keep the yoke fitting for when you travel to places that have nothing but yoke valves. Changing back and forth is not a big deal other needing a thin wall socket for the yoke fitting.

What is wrong with a couple first stages (one yoke, one DIN)? :stirpot:

What is wrong with a couple first stages (one yoke, one DIN)? :stirpot:
I chose option C

Buy a new (used) DIN set, AND convert the Atomic to DIN, AND keep the yoke off to the side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom