Convert or Replace Sherwood 3100s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gwold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm getting back into diving after a few years off, and am looking for some recommendations. I've got a pair of Sherwood 3100s, and wonder how you suggest making use of them today.

(Yep, those are my Rockets, too.)

Options I can think of include: combining both 2nd stages onto a 1st stage to start an octo; getting a newer 2nd stage to serve as primary & keeping the 3100 as a backup (use the other as a spare?); dropping them into a fish tank as decoration (not likely!).

I plan to take these to my LDS shortly, as I've some diving planned for late March. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Sherwoods have a reputation for being bulletproof but not the best breathers. IMHO they breath fine. I am not sure of that model number is that the predecessor to the Magnum or the Brut? The parts for an annual service on a Sherwood are very cheap. For a first and second stage they should be under $20. The main disadvantage of these regulators is if the air bleed system doesn't work then you need to replace the piston.

My recommendation is to get a firm quote from the dive shop on the service cost and ask them to call with any changes. You don't want to get a unpleasant surprise.

Hate to tell you but that is one of the few models of Sherwood regs that is no longer supported. I was by a LDS a few weeks ago and they had one in for repair. They were having trouble identifying it. It is an oddball in the Sherwood line, in all regs actually, it is an externally adjustable linear flow thru piston. To my knowledge, there are only 2 models of linear flow through pistons made, the Sherwood 3100 and Tusa Imperex with the Sherwood being the only externally adjustable one. By linear I mean, the yoke and piston are in line, unlike all other flow thru pistons in which the air comes in the side of the reg and makes a 90 deg turn (like scubapro MK-5s for example).

So, its very unlikely you can get the first stages serviced, the second stages are standard Sherwood so they are no problem. Your least cost option would be to find a used first stage that is rebuildable and rebuild it or you could buy a new first and use your second stages. Hogs and a few other brands sell the stages seperately.

That said, I was interested in that first stage when the LSD had it but the owner did not want to sell so I would be interested in one or both of yours. I custom build one of a kind regulators for fun using older regs as a starting point and I have an idea for that design reg. I make HP seats or other parts so getting unavailable parts are not an issue for me. If you are interested I have several older regs that I would be willing to trade for them, all need servicing but the parts for them are still available. Drop me a PM if you are interesting in either a trade or selling them.

I am not sure of that model number is that the predecessor to the Magnum or the Brut?

I couldn't say. These are the only ones I've ever owned, and I've been out of the game too long. From what herman says, I'm guessing the answer's "neither."

My recommendation is to get a firm quote from the dive shop on the service cost and ask them to call with any changes. You don't want to get a unpleasant surprise.

That's for sure. I plan to head in to discuss this week, and will insist that no work's done without a prior approval on price.

Hate to tell you but that is one of the few models of Sherwood regs that is no longer supported. I was by a LDS a few weeks ago and they had one in for repair. They were having trouble identifying it. It is an oddball in the Sherwood line, in all regs actually, it is an externally adjustable linear flow thru piston. To my knowledge, there are only 2 models of linear flow through pistons made, the Sherwood 3100 and Tusa Imperex with the Sherwood being the only externally adjustable one. By linear I mean, the yoke and piston are in line, unlike all other flow thru pistons in which the air comes in the side of the reg and makes a 90 deg turn (like scubapro MK-5s for example).

This all seems to match up with the diagrams in the service manual, which interestingly is still up & available on Frogkick!

That said, I was interested in that first stage when the LSD had it but the owner did not want to sell so I would be interested in one or both of yours. I custom build one of a kind regulators for fun using older regs as a starting point and I have an idea for that design reg. I make HP seats or other parts so getting unavailable parts are not an issue for me. If you are interested I have several older regs that I would be willing to trade for them, all need servicing but the parts for them are still available. Drop me a PM if you are interesting in either a trade or selling them.

I'll keep this in mind if I go another route, such as if the LDS cannot service these.

Thanks for your help, guys!

The 2000, 3000 and 4000 range are older than the named Sherwood range....the 2nd stages will be no problem to service, but, as Herman says, I'd be very surprised if a shop will attempt the 1st stage.

I just got back from my LDS. They say they've no qualms about servicing my gear and can do it--1st as well as 2nd stages. They guessed they'd charge roughly $75 (not an actual work estimate) for the service.

However, they pointed out that as has been noted here these are not the easiest breathing gear; that they might not be suitable enough at depths below 100', either. Also, to set myself up with a full rig (octo, LP hose, and console with pressure gauge, depth gauge, and compass), the total would likely run above $200, approaching $300. They've got some used and NOS stock, full rigs (except compass), at under $400. They're a Mares shop, and say the NOS is high-end Mares (for the age).

So, now I'm working that through. "Keep these, and fix them up, to put on a pony," they say.

Keep in mind that those second stages are some of the earlier plastic case second stages. AFAIK, the early plastic second stages from Sherwood were prone to cracking. I am not sure if these are one of those, but if it is, they may be perfectly OK for a long time or you if you hit them just right (it may not have to be hard) it could crack tomorrow.

I don't mean to sound negative or disparage your LDS but the LDS here is one of the largest service centers on the east coast and they do not have/can't get parts for those regs (they are a SW dealer) so where exactly is your shop getting parts? I would suggest you insist that all the removed parts are returned to you so you can verify that the parts were actually changed. You have the service manual so you know what is in there. The orings are not a problem but the HP seat is not a common SW item (item 7- #25-35105-30) so I wonder where they are getting one. It is possible they have old stock kits but even then, you are getting old orings unless they replace them with new ones. They may be on the up and up but it does make me wonder.

I couldn't say. These are the only ones I've ever owned, and I've been out of the game too long. From what herman says, I'm guessing the answer's "neither."

Herman, Luis, and Fishpie are all experienced with older regulators so I would listen to what they have to say. I thought the first stages did look a bit strange for Sherwoods, as I don't remember Sherwoods having holes in the ambient chamber.

Back
Top Bottom