Convert or not to convert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wi-Fi is no good to you if there's no connection to the internet. That's why coverage over the course of a trip can be really spotty.

Blue manta has satellite internet

Okay that's awesome!

I suggest purchasing a SIM card and adding ~100k for data. The satellite WiFi is sometimes spotty and it many not work on the lower deck on boat. You will need a passport to register your Indo SIM. have a wonderful trip on the Blue Manta and give my best to the dive guides and cruise director, Cedric. Charlie

I had a SIM card for data only, it's cheap and yes it doesn't work some places. But you see boat staff texting, then you know when there is coverage.
Exchange your money in Jakarta airport or Bali, better rates then Sorong.

Would the exchange rate at Jakarta airport be better than a bank in Sorong? I had been planning on waiting until I arrived in Sorong to change money, I'm staying on various islands and day boat diving for a month so will be changing a few thousand UK pounds.

Would the exchange rate at Jakarta airport be better than a bank in Sorong? I had been planning on waiting until I arrived in Sorong to change money, I'm staying on various islands and day boat diving for a month so will be changing a few thousand UK pounds.

I recommend that you have online access to your bank account so that you can monitor it while (and after) you are in Indo. Some are adept at stealing your info and charging to your card. If you use an ATM the day before you get on a LOB for a 10-day trip, you won't know about any shenanigans until after the trip ends - not the best situation. Best advice is to use an ATM that is inside a bank.

You also need to put in a travel advisory wth your bank (which does NOT ensure that they will allow transactions) and for that reason I suggest you have at least two cards from at least two banks.

Also, note that Indo ATMs give you the money, THEN the card. Don't walk off with your money but not the card!

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom