Continuing Education for the “experienced” OWI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Equivelancy means having any cert past OW and 20 logged dives including navigation and deep diving. The OP thus qualifies. I would reccomend taking some of the more challeging and educational specialites like wreck, cavern, nitrox, and also taking Rescue. If you want to get into tech diving there is plenty to learn there. You could also take some of DANs dive emergency type courses, or equipment focused courses from PSI. You can also "go pro" and become a divemaster.

There were several years in there that I didn't dive much or at all (grad school, etc.) Now I average more than 20 dives per year. Such is the life of a dad with kids in little league, dance, soccer.

Thanks for the advice on PADI.

If you want a great class, see if you can get into the L.A. County Advanced Diver Program. Google will give you the next class start date.

I've looked in the LA county program. It looks exactly like what I'm looking for. However, their rigid schedule doesn't work for me and my family.

Thanks for the advice.

Craiger.

I second Dave's recommendation of the L. A. County ADP... one of the very best courses in existence IMHO. Oops, just noticed you had already considered that.

Why waste money on 5 PADI speciaties, AOW, and a dumb C card that carries no value other than show off.

I would say do the Naui master diver course, or if it is not available, do a dive master program with a local agency. At least you are forced to learn new skills and acquire interesting knowledge that help you as a diver.

NAUIs Master Diver Course is AOW plus 8 dives. PADIs Master Diver course is AOW, Rescue, and 20 dives (5 specialites). HOw is that a waste and no value, with no new skills or interesting knowledge? Or did you just mean the C-Card has no value?

Take the advanced class. Don't try to by-pass it. A lot of things have changed in the 20 years since you originally got certified. The advanced class will bring you up-to-date and fill-in any gaps. It will be a good refresher and your instructor's feedback will give you an idea where to go next. If you decide to go forward, you'll have a big gap in your knowledge not having gone thru the experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom