Continue or stop diving with a PFO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting dilemma. You go to the doctor due to a "bends" issue, diagnosis, PFO, but they wont fix it, just dont dive. On the other hand, you go to the doctor for a "check up" and they find you have a PFO which puts you at a higher risk of stroke.....but they wont fix that either even if it reduces you risk of stroke.

My point is, maybe you're asking the wrong question. Suppose you went to the doctor and said you had suffered a strange issue the other day when you woke up, slurred speech and your right side of your body felt "numb", but it cleared quickly..............TIA's are hard to diagnose and often dont show up. I'm no doctor and would never suggest insurance fraud to reduce your risk of stroke....................... :)

At least in the US, chronic migraines with aura can be used as a medical diagnosis that would get pfo closure approved. A friend is a diver who's never been bent. He has chronic migraines with aura and his neurologist easily got him approved for closure.

At least in the US, chronic migraines with aura can be used as a medical diagnosis that would get pfo closure approved. A friend is a diver who's never been bent. He has chronic migraines with aura and his neurologist easily got him approved for closure.
A friend of mine got her PFO closed because of diving, and she was happy to discover that her lifetime of migraines with aura went away when she did.

At least in the US, chronic migraines with aura can be used as a medical diagnosis that would get pfo closure approved.
…if you’re lucky enough to have health insurance. :wink:

A friend of mine got her PFO closed because of diving, and she was happy to discover that her lifetime of migraines with aura went away when she did.
My wife considered getting screened just due to migraines and wanting them gone. Luckily she discovered she has celiac and her symptomology is migraines. So no gluten and she’s fine now.
…if you’re lucky enough to have health insurance. :wink:
Well that’s a whole other issue. I was insuranceless for about 15 years. My wife’s “government cheese job” as I call it paid for itself just in insurance.

A PFO can absolutely be closed without history of stroke. Though your insurance may not cover it. (I’m a pulmonary/critical care physician).
We know that. It’s the payment part that’s of interest here.

Of interest: My dive buddy invented the device used for the closure.

Really appreciate the replies from all of you. I think now, with the current status of covid and everything, going abroad to get it fixed isn’t really an option. At least not for me. Maybe I’ll look into it when things calm down a bit. In the meantime I think I have to carefully decide on what to do. Maybe I’ll be my own guinea pig and see how a very conservative approach to normal ndl diving would work out.

Just curious. Do you already dive nitrox?

Just curious. Do you already dive nitrox?
Only dive air, but that's really down to sub optimal planning from my side. I get my tanks filled just prior to going diving, if I want nitrox my LDS need the tanks a day or two ahead of diving. Have been thinking about doing some easy rec dives with GF 40/60 and still keep well within NDL and see how that works out.

Back
Top Bottom