Contacts when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mor

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Sorry new girl here :dork2:, I know this is old news, I've looked thru the archives -- but I don't want to do something stupid. I think it would be nice to use my contacts while I dive. I can see okay w/o them, but we are heading to the BVI and I think it would be fun to see a little better. Can anyone tell me other than having an extra pair is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks for the help

Sorry new girl here :dork2:, I know this is old news, I've looked thru the archives -- but I don't want to do something stupid. I think it would be nice to use my contacts while I dive. I can see okay w/o them, but we are heading to the BVI and I think it would be fun to see a little better. Can anyone tell me other than having an extra pair is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks for the help

If your eye health & current Rx is up to date,I would take an extra case or 2 and plenty of solution(hopefully you are using Opti-Free) along with extra pairs of ctl's----and that's about it......good luck & good diving......

EDIT:...ONLY wear disposable ctl's in the water(of any kind!!!)........

The ladies where I get my contacts done (not sure what to call them, doctor's assistants maybe?) freaked out when I asked about swimming or diving with them in and told me absolutely not. But then, there are apparently people who do it all the time. I'm not willing to try it in chlorinated pool water but on my first open water dives I'd definitely like to be able to see clearly so I might try it with contacts in.

The ladies where I get my contacts done (not sure what to call them, doctor's assistants maybe?) freaked out when I asked about swimming or diving with them in and told me absolutely not. But then, there are apparently people who do it all the time. I'm not willing to try it in chlorinated pool water but on my first open water dives I'd definitely like to be able to see clearly so I might try it with contacts in.

They are called techs & are only told what to say by the doctor they work for......In my 1st post, I was assuming disposable ctl's---that's all I fit anymore, anything else & you are starting that car by sticking a crank handle in the motor (like yester year)

They are called techs & are only told what to say by the doctor they work for......In my 1st post, I was assuming disposable ctl's---that's all I fit anymore, anything else & you are starting that car by sticking a crank handle in the motor (like yester year)

I'm using disposables - Accuvue advance with hydra clear, and opti-free solution.

i dive with contacts all the time (as in, every single time) and i've never had any trouble

i bring an extra set, just in case, but so far i've never lost a contact while diving

i did lose one while taking a hot shower AFTER a dive once ... dumb luck

mine are the kind that you use for a month or so and then throw away

I'm using disposables - Accuvue advance with hydra clear, and opti-free solution.

Newer ones are AV Oasys, my LOC currently...
J09.JPG

Aside from the possibility of loss, the only real issue of contact lens use underwater is that they will concentrate any pollutants behind the lens. If the water you are diving in is that screwed up, you may want to find another dive site. Take an extra pair and you should be fine.

Sadly I would be unable to see anything but large blurs if I didn't wear my disposable contacts. I have about 80 some dives logged and have YET to loose a contact underwater. A couple times I got some water in my mask and it stung, makes you a little nervous but I've always recovered without loosing one or having to abort a dive.

I also just switched to Accuvue Oasys before my last trip and I really like them. Supposedly they let more oxygen in (something like that), my eyes seem to be less dry since I switched to them. I just always take about 2-3 extra pairs in case something does happen and the smaller size of solution. Probably a good idea to toss them after a trip just in case there is any bacteria from the salt water. Some day I hope to get laser eye surgery...:14:

Back
Top Bottom