consoles, computer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cougar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:rolleyes: Some of us have a lot to learn. Duh...now that my very own regulator and octopus have arrived...seems there is something else I need...'cause a regulator and octopus don't seem to come with a console...not so much as a depth and air pressure guage. So...

1. Does the console have to be the same brand as the regulator? Are they a universal fit and completely interchangeable?

2. Since I would like to have a computer I can download to my PC that is air/nitrox...should I get this on the console...or get a simple console and a separate wrist computer?,,,and can I afford both right now??Hmm

3. People have mentioned that I should match my buddy's computer...my buddy is either my daughter...who doesn't have one and I can't afford to buy two...or whoever I happen to buddy up with where ever I happen to be. So, since matching my buddy is not an issue...what do you recommend? Should the computer be on the console or separate? Why?

4. What's a good not outrageously$$$ air/nitrox computer that will download to a PC?

5. Recommendations on consoles and what I need on them? Air pressure and depth I would think...or do I not need that if I have a computer...nope...I at least need air pressure...help...I'm confused

6. Did anyone ever tell you guys that this is a great board? I am tired of renting equipment...but I don't know what is out there. yes, I've been doing online research...but for example..I think I was supposed to know that an regulator and octopus don't come with a console..I thought they all cam etogether, duh!:eek:

Most consoles will fit most regulator setups, since it is the high pressure hose to the SPG (submersible pressure guage) that is keeping the rest of your instruments from finding what's at the bottom of that 500-ft wall. There are many manufacturer's and layouts available. Mine has the computer/compass on one side, the SPG on the other. Some other divers like their's in a 1x3 stack. Which you use is up to you.

Typically, the SPG and console are purchased together, but this is not always the case. Oh, and don't forget a quality compass since you will use that on almost every dive.

Placment of the computer (console or wrist) is another one of those personal preference things. I started with mine (Genesis ReACT) in the console....now I'm experimenting with wrist (because you ALWAYS know where your hand is). Once again, there are a ton of choices out there, all which will do their job well if you continue to dive conservatively.

Matching with your buddy ---- While having the same computer as your buddy does have some merit, that is not always the case if you dive with different people. Also, even if you have the same computers, the end results displayed by the computer will very likely be different since no two divers profiles are *exactly* alike. The best thing to do is to figure out which buddy's computer is the most conservative and pay attention to it (i.e. if your computer shows 5 minutes of NDL left for that depth and your buddies shows 7, follow your computer for the buddy team).

I would recommend getting a simple brass SPG on a 24" hose ($100ish). Get a wrist mount Suunto Vyper computer with interface ($320ish), and a wrist mount backup depth gauge ($30).

That's what I would do.

Mike

before anyone can decide on what gear is right for themselves they must first ask themself what kind of diving do they intend on doing.If you plan on doing only one tank a day and not exceeding 40 ft why waste money on a computer. Also you mentioned air/nitrox for if that is your path you should make sure the equipment you already purchased is compatable.

TM has some great points (but he combs his hair right and no one notices) as do the others. I bought a Suunto Cobra well after 100 dives, and I wish I had not. It broke me of violating my 3 minute stops... you can review your dive profiles time vs depth & gas & tissue sats. I think this made THE biggest difference in my diving of all my gear. Since it is air integrated, it lets me know how much time I have... OR DON"T HAVE on a particular dive. It is NitrOx friendly, and the profiles have been generous to me (when compared to tables) while never making me feel bent. YES, it costs an arm and a leg, but I have too much stuff that was intended to "get me by" when I really wish that I had bought this at the onset.

BTW, as my son does not dive near as much as me, I got him a lesser computer. When he shows more of an interest in diving, we will upgrade that as well!

Originally posted by zodiacred
before anyone can decide on what gear is right for themselves they must first ask themself what kind of diving do they intend on doing.If you plan on doing only one tank a day and not exceeding 40 ft why waste money on a computer. Also you mentioned air/nitrox for if that is your path you should make sure the equipment you already purchased is compatable.

I have a lot of adventures planned and I plan many dives of more than 40 feet and more than one tank. Having had a mere taste of 90 feet and full days of diving I know I love it. I have purchased very little so far except for fins I love and a mask that fits perfectly (and a rather irrelevant snorkel)
I am trying to do proper research so as not to end up with a closet full of stuff I don't use. I am religious about checking my own guages...however, I don't want to be a parasite on the DM or my buddy and never have my own information. I rode competetive open jumpers professionally, I got in the habit of having good equipment and redundancy systems, because although it may have only been 5 1/2 feet to the ground....look at Christopher Reed.
So, I'd like a computer that can grow with me as I learn nitrox and caves. I am asking advice and reading reviews and discussions so that I can make (hopefully) intelligent, educated choices and not need new equipment in 6 months because what I bought doesn't work for what else I want to do. On the other hand, it doesn't have to be brand new and shiny anything that some one with more $$$ than brains bought before they discovered they didn't like the sport (I know at least in horses...these guys often bought top of the line equipment and got bored in a year) would save me some $$$ that I can spend on more courses. :mean:

The Vyper will definately grow with you. It has the nitrox functions as well as the gauge mode for deco and trimix diving. It's fairly inexpensive too. If you're considering the tech stuff for the future, start simplying your gear right now. Forget about a console which is unnecessary. Don't get an unnecessarily expensive air integrated computer which only complicates things. The tech stuff is about simplifying, not the other way around.

KISS :wink:.

Mike

Wrist mounted.

On your left hand. I prefer to put it so I can clearly see the LCD even when I am holding the inflator in my hand. This way you can see and control your ascent. On the wrist it is more simple to see your time and depth, It is "handy". You can attach the console close to your BC to reduce drag and more important: to reduce chances to destroy corals or get entangled.
By the way, when you decide to get a compass, it is better to have it on your wrist too.

Computers come in many varieties. What you really want to ask yourself is "how much diving will I be doing?" If you plan to become a frequent diver then take the time to buy a computer that will give you long term dependability, provides all the information you need to dive safely and one that "you" can change the batteries on. I bought the Suunto Cobra for these reasons. You can get a Cobra with compass for around $400 brand new on E-bay. Of course you'll get the lecture that there's no warranty from Suunto, but hell... It's one of the best on the market and if you get it through Leisure Pro they will give you the same warranty. You'll pay the same price for a wrist computer and still have to drag a console for tank pressure (unless you get one with a tank transmitter). Just keep in mind that the money you spend to get a great computer will be around for years of diving and not need replacing. Buy gauges now and you'll soon wish you had just gone the extra dollar.

Dive... Dive...Dive
Until you're wet you're just a Drip.

Back
Top Bottom