Consistency on DIR?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been hooked with DIR lately. Didn't have the chance to go for DIR-F yet but I have converted my gears to be DIR compliant:

7' hose on primary
22" on bungied backup
1 piece continuous webbing on my DR BP+Wing
SP Jet with spring straps
................and so on...............

I will be on a DM intern trip this coming weekend and will try out these set up. But a concern hit me. I am currently going for my PADI DM and equipment standard is one of the criteria we are being evaluated...........................DM being a "role model" for new students. I have read on some posts on this board where people comments regarding DIR gears setup and technics vs. PADI certification. But since DIR is something unknow to only may be a few in Thailand, I don't think my instructors would appreciate me having the DIR setup for my interns.

I am thinking that I might keep DIR (even after I am through with my DIR-F) for personal diving. When playing my role as PADI professional diver, stick to what we are expected. I know that equipment standardization is probably one of the DIR philosophy (the way I understand it) but it's going to be pretty difficult for me.

Any comments? Does consistency makes one non-DIR?

Take the DIR-F class, and many of these questions will answer themselves.

I can only answer how I would approach the situation personally. I feel that any experienced diver gets used to and establishes muscle memory for whatever configuration they are using. Any time you change that you run the risk for being off your game. I know that when I change back and forth from drysuit to wetsuit that it induces a little bit of task loading just cause it feels different. When I rewebbed my harness I put a dring in a slightly different position, making clip offs take more than one try until I got used to it.

Personally, if I was working with students I'd want the same gear on my body all the time to reduce my personal task loading so I can focus on them.

From what I understand, there is nothing in PADI standards that prevent a pro from using a DIR setup; however, the reason this is typically frowned upon is that it isn't the type of gear that the sponsoring shop sells (it is a well known fact that OW students tend to emulate instructors and purchase what they see being used by staff).

Take the DIR class (internet and books do not do it justice) dive this philosophy and gear for a while, and which way you should personally go will become clear to you.

Best wishes.

I teach in my DIR setup. The only time I don't is in the pool. There I use the same rental equipment as my students. Try to enlighten your instructors on some of the benefits of DIR (i.e. streamlining, simplicity, etc). Good buoyancy, buddy communication, situational awareness, and dive planning are all essential diving skills whether you are DIR or not. I try to instill this to my students. There have been a few times where I have had to donate my primary to a student. Being on the long hose allows me to keep some distance between me and a possible panicy diver and to still keep control of the rest of the students if I don't have a DM/AI.

ppo2_diver:
I teach in my DIR setup. The only time I don't is in the pool. There I use the same rental equipment as my students. Try to enlighten your instructors on some of the benefits of DIR (i.e. streamlining, simplicity, etc). Good buoyancy, buddy communication, situational awareness, and dive planning are all essential diving skills whether you are DIR or not. I try to instill this to my students. There have been a few times where I have had to donate my primary to a student. Being on the long hose allows me to keep some distance between me and a possible panicy diver and to still keep control of the rest of the students if I don't have a DM/AI.
I take a similar approach ... AL backplate/TransPlate harness/standard regulator in the pool ... DIR-style Hogarthian BPW/long-hose regulator for OW. I think the students benefit from exposure to both setups.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I did my D/M course using a Hogarthian rig (please note that I did not say "DIR rig").
There is no caveat in the PADI regs that precludes the use of a Hogarthian, sometimes referred to as "DIR", rig in the D/M course. The one difference will be that a snorkel is required in any PADI program.

the K

Well, I did my DM training in my bp/w with the long hose etc. and had no issues but I had a tech-friendly instructor. I'm going to do my IDC next month and I'll be taking a jacket and standard reg set for that because the PADI examiners are likely to be less tolerant of non-standard equipment configurations. I'll be teaching the pool in the rental gear and my bp/w in open water.

Rachel

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations. Valuable indeed. I might probably talk to my instructors and see what he has to say. I think the idea of using the standard setup for confine water assistant in pool and stick to DIR in openwater would work. I will see what I can do about it.

I certainly would love to take the DIR-F class. The next class available in Thailand is in early October but I won't able to make it. I am looking forward to it........................

As a DM and DIR-Fundi, I had a couple of discussions on this subject with the owner of the local diveshop (a 110% stroke diver). If you asked PADI about using a DIR config as a DM during Open Water Diver Coarse, it is all about liability. A DIR-config is OK, but if something goes wrong, PADI is going to look for exceptions. And with your DIR-config you are the exception! So chances are that you will be sued. The owner made it very clear to me: no DIR-config during courses. Because I don't want to dive any other way, I'm no active DM anymore. Saves diving time for the interesting stuff.

D.

DOXA:
A DIR-config is OK, but if something goes wrong, PADI is going to look for exceptions. And with your DIR-config you are the exception! So chances are that you will be sued.
BS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom