Consistency on DIR?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you must use plastic buckels, at least hook the upper and lower dring with a 4-5 inch stainless double ended dog clip. This will prevent the buckel from separating. The pressure is on the two drings supporting the the buckel. works perfectly. Easy to get to and easy to unclip. A very good back up safety feature. Try it, you will see what I mean.When I use my oms, i rig it this way. I mainly use my my explorer, But, For Friends I will let them use my oms. I will eventually full weave my oms too.

Capt. Tom

wunat-Don't be worried. I felt much better once a call to PADI was made and this situation discussed. It will help you to know that PADI is more open here than some think. (BTW- the snorkel issue, the snorkel doesn't have to be connected to your mask. There are roll up snorkels out there than can easily be attached to your harness.)

Good luck!

In regards to the AG thing... A bunch of GUE instructors aren't renewing? We'll see. It's going to be interesting to see loyality at work here - instructors and students. Funny how a great new idea/organization can be torn apart so quickly. AG is all about increasing diver's knowledge and skill - too bad it couldn't work out with GUE.

I guess that idea of it's the instructor that matters, not the organization he/she teaches under - will be tested.

mrobinson:
Funny how a great new idea/organization can be torn apart so quickly. AG is all about increasing diver's knowledge and skill - too bad it couldn't work out with GUE.

I guess that idea of it's the instructor that matters, not the organization he/she teaches under - will be tested.
I've noticed that some cert agencies have a tech wing and a rec wing. Although personality issues may be in play, there is probably also the issue of whether GUE is going to be 100% tech/cave oriented, or is it going to also try to change the face of the rec world.

A thread that you have posted to several times over on the Fifth-D forum touches on that --- the initial resistance to DIR-F, the conversion to pass/fail, discussion about and apparent rejection of an "Essentials" class, etc.

One reason I've been so interested in the long, long awaited GUE OW class is that it would have to be complete, self contained training in the DIR methods and philosophies, and would probably be something quite suitable for someone who simply wants to safely enjoy being an underwater tourist as opposed to diving to do challenging dives or exploration. The movement of DIR/GUE people into NAUI may make that sort of class available to the masses.

Charlie99:
I've noticed that some cert agencies have a tech wing and a rec wing. Although personality issues may be in play, there is probably also the issue of whether GUE is going to be 100% tech/cave oriented, or is it going to also try to change the face of the rec world.

A thread that you have posted to several times over on the Fifth-D forum touches on that --- the initial resistance to DIR-F, the conversion to pass/fail, discussion about and apparent rejection of an "Essentials" class, etc.

One reason I've been so interested in the long, long awaited GUE OW class is that it would have to be complete, self contained training in the DIR methods and philosophies, and would probably be something quite suitable for someone who simply wants to safely enjoy being an underwater tourist as opposed to diving to do challenging dives or exploration. The movement of DIR/GUE people into NAUI may make that sort of class available to the masses.

One of the beauties of the NAUI program is that the standards are all MINIMUMS and the instructor is encouraged to exceed them. I recently crossed-over to NAUI from another well known agency and am looking forward to teaching their program. I'm sure AG will bring a lot of knowledge to the table...

Bruce

The idea of a GUE type O/W has appealed me from the start too. I really thought this could be the start of true diving. With this break down GUE, it will be rec or tech? (I've always believed these are two different markets, with different mentalities. Can they be incorporated? Yes but the industry needs to change to this thinking first.) No question AG will bring expertise to the table, in so many aspects and hidden concepts. NAUI has always struck me as the agency we should be learning under because of their ideas of key concepts and flexiblity with extra training. In my area, mainly PADI and one SSI shop - so not much for choice. I first heard about Naui through their rescue course, and thought, why aren't I learning that? I guess hindsight is always 20/20.

I think the direction of things are being modified within GUE and now Naui. (Yes IMHO AG is that influential.) Naui already has a solid reputation within the rec world. I can't wait to see what the future holds!

I did my intro to tech diving with an excellent NAUI instructor in VA. Brian McMillan. Also completed the advanced rescue class with him. I definitely prefer the NAUI training over the attitudes seen among some groups of instructors.

jmo,
Jeff

LOL, I noticed that NAUI went out of its way to not say "Do It Right" on their site and instead said "Do It Properly". Scott, are you now going to be a DIP? :wink:

http://www.nauitec.com/ (at the bottom in the little box).

Mark

boomx5:
All I can say is I sure am looking forward to my NAUI Trimix2 class in a couple of weeks.

mweitz:
LOL, I noticed that NAUI went out of its way to not say "Do It Right" on their site and instead said "Do It Properly". Scott, are you now going to be a DIP? :wink:

http://www.nauitec.com/ (at the bottom in the little box).

Mark

Lol...I thought that was also funny. Actually, I'm waiting for "Nike" to come out with their own training and scuba gear so I can "Just Do It". :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom