Considering Downsizing and looking for advice on RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is why the new RX 100VII is so interesting, it has a far bigger zoom and I hope this will enable me a tad more distance to the subject and a bit more focus depth.

I'm far from an expert, but as I understand it, depth of field scales inversely with magnification, so a longer lens on the same sensor size won't give you any more DoF on the same subject, and aside from restricting aperture, the only way to get more DoF is to go to a smaller sensor. A 36x24mm subject will require 1:1 magnification to fill a full-frame sensor, but on a 1", it will be barely 1:3, with a correspondingly deeper DoF. On a TG series with its 1/2.3" sensor, the same subject will only need 1:6 magnification.

Just an opinion having now upsized to the Nauticam NA6400 and having still a FIXS90 and the FIXS90 is slightly smaller than the Nauticam and RX100 outfit, not sure you will gain that much. If you shoot two strobes then you have to have a double handle/ball tray. If you do CFWA you still need either one of the Inon lenses (or similar) or the Nauticam WWL-1 and you will need a second port for the WA lenses. So the only thing that has been downsized marginally is the housing. The cameras cost nearly the same, the NA6X00 housing is more expensive but not terribly so.

Now if you start talking dSLR or full frame of any sort, yeah, the price, size and complexity increases dramatically. I think I can get my new NA6400 rig in a Pelican 1510 or 1535 or similar generic carryon size case. As it is now, even with the FIXS90, I have to carry the two lenses in my checked bag, the camera, housing and strobes in a carry on hard case and the tray plus handles and arms in my dive bag. Nothing really changes for me. Maybe I am missing something.

James

I'm far from an expert, but as I understand it, depth of field scales inversely with magnification, so a longer lens on the same sensor size won't give you any more DoF on the same subject, and aside from restricting aperture, the only way to get more DoF is to go to a smaller sensor. A 36x24mm subject will require 1:1 magnification to fill a full-frame sensor, but on a 1", it will be barely 1:3, with a correspondingly deeper DoF. On a TG series with its 1/2.3" sensor, the same subject will only need 1:6 magnification.

I clearly have not got my head around the geometry of things in terms of DOF!! But the extra lens length should give me more working space to the object,....right???

Yes, the longer lens will give you a longer working distance at the same magnification, or more magnification at the same distance. However, working with diopters, you're liable to encounter 'dead windows' where you're too close to focus without a diopter, but too far to focus with one.

However, working with diopters, you're liable to encounter 'dead windows' where you're too close to focus without a diopter, but too far to focus with one.

Yes I had the same thought!! The diopters really do force you to focus close....I would definitely test the system out with my own diopters before going down that route.

My upsizing, NA-6400 and Pelican "Air" 1535. It is domestic carry-on size and very light weight. So the NA-6400 housing, two Inon D/Z strobes, the WWL-1 wet lens, housing port (for Sigma 19mm and PZ16-50mm) and a CMC-2 macro lens on order (not yet fitted):

IMG-0229.jpg

I plan to carry the strobe arms in my dive bag, the camera and lens in my back pack and other ancillary bits and spare batteries, tools, spares etc. in my checked suitcase. This is basically what I have always done with previous cameras.

My S90/FIX with UFL165AD wide angle, ULM165AD macro, two Inon D-2000 strobes, camera and housing, again, the arms and in this case tray and other bits are carried in my dive bag and checked luggage:

IMG-0230.jpg

So, to see for comparison, the difference in size is not much.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom