Considering a Shore dive in Daytona Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleyxx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The other day I was in a local dive shop and an instructor came in and mentioned that he occasionally does shore dives in Daytona Beach and Ormond Beach.
I didn't get a chance to ask him about what the conditions were like. But it really sparked by curiosity.

If you have done a shore dive here, what was the visibility like? What about the currents? What reccomendations do you have? I've only done one shore dive in St. Thomas. There was virtually no current, the waves were flat & the visibilty was great. I know I cannot expect conditions like that here in Daytona.

But it might be a neat experience. The instructor mentioned that he dives Solo, but I'll be with a buddy.

Go back to the dive shop that you were at and ask him to be more specific because I too doubt there's much to see on a Daytona Beach shore dive. I hope I'm wrong because I've been going offshore on my boat to see anything of real significance. I'd like to find out that there is something closer but I doubt it.

I saw someone do that while i was at perrys ocean edge resort..They said a shark swam past em..ha...I dont know though...Viz must stink.. I went prob 150 ft and saw nothin..There is definetly a lot of lif..

The only shore diving I found around Daytona Beach is at Ponce Inlet. Dive during slack tide, enter the water at the beach area west of the Jettys on the inlet side.

What dive shop were you in????:confused: There is no shore diving in this town. All you will see is SAND.and more SAND. If you are lucky to get good vis. I would like to know who told you that.

I was in Atlantic Scuba. The instructor did not work for Atlantic Scuba though. I do not know what his name was. He just happened to be in the shop when I was getting a tank filled. I overheard him tell Dave, the owner, that he was an instructor, and then while I was waiting for the tank to be filled he mentioned about doing the shore dives.

So based on all the comments, I'll pass on a shore dive in Daytona.

I was in Atlantic Scuba. The instructor did not work for Atlantic Scuba though. I do not know what his name was. He just happened to be in the shop when I was getting a tank filled. I overheard him tell Dave, the owner, that he was an instructor, and then while I was waiting for the tank to be filled he mentioned about doing the shore dives.

So based on all the comments, I'll pass on a shore dive in Daytona.
That might be a wise choice, I've not heard of any beach diving between Daytona and Cocco. I live in DB area and seriously considering a Venice Beach trip (2.5 hrs drive) tomorrow (9/15). if you are interested, pm me via this site.

My guess is that the instructor was doing shore dives with students just to show them shore diving technique, and perhaps to do their skills at depth on the sand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom